How to calibrate the gimbal to not show propellers?

Reaction score
I recently had a crash and as part of that it bent the bracket of my gimbal. Luckily I was able to straighten the bracket and it now sits level except now the propellers show when the camera/gimbal sits at it's normal default position. Has anyone any experience in calibrating the gimbal to avoid this? The only thing I can think of is to not shoot wide with the GoPro but this then limits what quality I can shoot at. I've had a look and play with the Advanced Settings of the Phantom Assist software changing values and resetting the unit to no luck.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

mfCcV45.png

lcgrRvL.png

Thanks for the response Visioneer. I just gave that a try but it didn't seem to make any difference. I hit enter to save the changes but I'm hesitant and wonder whether the changes actually saved?

This is how the camera looks at it's full high and low adjustment

Evj8q8U.png

wf8NvFV.png

The best way that I have found is to set your GoPro to normal. If it is set to wide it is too much of a wide angle and will show the props. I think the quality is better on normal since it is not so fish eyed.

wisie said:
Thanks for the response Visioneer. I just gave that a try but it didn't seem to make any difference. I hit enter to save the changes but I'm hesitant and wonder whether the changes actually saved?

This is how the camera looks at it's full high and low adjustment

I have the P2V and not the P2 so I can't really say what else might help. Though it would certainly seem that lowering the max pitch should limit how far up the camera would rotate.

This may be a long shot... was everything "on" when you tried the adjustment? The first time I adjusted the P2V gimbal I didn't have the controller or my smartphone on ... just had the PC hooked to the Phantom. So, of course, I couldn't operate the gimbal from the smartphone app to see what effect it had, and the adjustment didn't seem to be "taking". However the next time I turned everything on the gimbal's start up position (which I had changed) seemed to have changed, but the limits didn't seem different - my imagination? Anyway, the second time I went to adjust the gimbal's settings, I had everything on and could see how the gimbal moved when I raised & lowered it from the smartphone app. So I really don't know if it didn't "take" the first time (for whatever reason) or if everything has to be "on" for this adjustment to work.

Beyond this, you're going to need input from someone with a P2. Worst case - something in the gimbal's gone awry but the fact that you can still raise & lower it suggests it's OK.

I suggest switching to the 5.4mm lens that RageCams sells for the H3+
I have used a couple of these, and use the stock lense only for underwater.

kelly

Heres another idea: Set your Gopro to 1440p. This gives a 4:3 ratio, but no fear! Its still the same horizontal resolution as 1080p, that is 1920 pixels. Then in your editing software you crop the props out leaving a nice 16:9, 1080 x 1920. Voila, no props! At 1440p you will have 48, 30 and 24 fps available. If you want 60fps then set it to 960p which is also 4:3 and then crop. this will give you a resolution of 1280 x 960. This is still fine quality for Youtube and Vimeo.

Another way is to film while flying backwards, then in your editing software play it in reverse. Flying backwards keeps the aircraft front elevated and props are out of the frame.

You will be the eye of your Cam, use the Gopro App by turning on Wifi And smart phone vision to set the angle just out of prop view only while still on the ground, Make sure to turn your Gopro wifi off prior to take off as a conflict could occur with your Tx. Problem solved. On windy days or radical or quick movements from the radio tx a prop arm may be seen but in hovering it will be clear of props for a great photo or video. My Zenmuse is stable in hover mode.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20