How to boost remote controller range on non vision

Reaction score
After having a fly away ( thankfully RTH worked great ) Id like to look into upgrading OEM remote control.

What is everyone else using ? both controller and receiver in phantom..

MODS feel free to move, I just wanted to not be limited to one platform for this question....

The P2 non-vision has the best radio setup you can get right out of the box. Unless you're flying miles away, you don't need any upgrades. Doubt your flyaway had anything to do with the radio.

ianwood said:
The P2 non-vision has the best radio setup you can get right out of the box. Unless you're flying miles away, you don't need any upgrades. Doubt your flyaway had anything to do with the radio.

ok then . fair enough, however at 168 meters phantom did a complete counter clockwise yaw and immediately pitched hard and aggressivly flew away... no hands on stick just watching what craft was doing, flicked rth when craft did not respond to controller inputs at all.. with gps mode on correct me if I'm wrong but it should hover when you let go of sticks and not counterclockwise yaw and immediately dart into one direction..

I dont blame the phantom at all because the racetrack i was at has a 3g att tower dead center coincidentally the exact direction it was heading for.. MY question was rather geared towards seeing if there was anyting i can do to enhance the platform dji has given us. To punch through a bit better in times of interferance...

if you get what I'm trying to ask... again in the realm of SAFE flying Id like to make sure that when flying in stressful situations i have the most control i can with my craft...

:idea:

capodrone81 said:
ianwood said:

ok then . fair enough, however at 168 meters phantom did a complete counter clockwise yaw and immediately pitched hard and aggressivly flew away... no hands on stick just watching what craft was doing, flicked rth when craft did not respond to controller inputs at all.. with gps mode on correct me if I'm wrong but it should hover when you let go of sticks and not counterclockwise yaw and immediately dart into one direction..

I dont blame the phantom at all because the racetrack i was at has a 3g att tower dead center coincidentally the exact direction it was heading for.. MY question was rather geared towards seeing if there was anyting i can do to enhance the platform dji has given us. To punch through a bit better in times of interferance...

if you get what I'm trying to ask... again in the realm of SAFE flying Id like to make sure that when flying in stressful situations i have the most control i can with my craft...

:idea:

The P2-NV's OEM receiver is compatible with Futaba's FASST protocol.
Arguably one of the best out there.

Tx power is limited by the FCC so there's no advantage to replacing the OEM Tx unless you need additional channels or some other programming/mixing functions.

To obtain the best control you can...maintain LOS.

Even with my old eye's 551' is within LOS so I don't see that as being an issue of maintaining the best control in this situation .
I have been at around this distance and let go of the sticks and see it start of in another direction only to see I had sliped into atti and it was way more wind at 200' than were I was standing .
When I did hit RTH it also took off away from me but that was because of a bad compass issue and just went in the wrong direction .

First: if you can get it home with RTH it can never be a fly away because it was correctly locked on sats and had the correct home point in memory. The 'fly away' may indeed have been caused by the 3G hotspot. Another possibility is unintended switch to Atti (happens to me every once in a while and I notice the drift immediately) and it drifted with the wind direction?

Second: the P2 transmitter/receiver is incredibly strong and reliable. 2.5Km or 1.5 miles max range is standard in most cases unless you got a lot of obstructions like mountains, buildings and trees. You can easily boost the range with a better antenna and 2.4GHz booster. There's one specially for the P2 controller. Search it on google, you'll find it. Although the standard range is way big enough to empty your batteries.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31