How to appreciate your Phantom 3 even more!

Reaction score
I have been getting rained out here lately in Louisiana and have not been able to fly my P3P. Had the itch to fly something last weekend so I got out my Blade MCX2 helicopter which I have had for several years and flew it around my relatively large living room. It is a great little machine, but not a Quadcopter. I decided that to make my indoor flying experience closer my Phantom, I needed a small quad with FPV. Amazon is Great, you can find almost anything there. I found and ordered the Hubsan X4 with FPV. It is a very small thing at 4 inches across from the outer blade tips.

I flew it for the 1st time last night and learned a lot of things (in about 30 minutes) that are different from the Phantom.

1. Might need to keep a paper towel handy.
2. Hand catching is not nearly as easy... got a bloody hand. (paper towel needed)
3. Hubsan doesn't have BRAKES.... got a bloody chin. (paper towel needed again)
4. Flying FPV without the craft holding a constant altitude on it's own (like the Phantom) really adds a huge amount of difficulty.
5. The Hubsan requires a whole lot more physical exertion than the Phantom... yep, it has a affinity for going underneath and behind furniture when it crashes. Crashes are largely my fault, because of me being used to the Phantom having BRAKES!.

There are numerous other differences that make me appreciate my Phantom even more.

I must also give the Hubsan credit for being a remarkable little machine that will only set you back $150. It is very stable and nimble and if you can master flying this thing you will become one hell of a Phantom pilot.

After the bleeding stopped, I had a great evening flying indoors. If anybody has other suggestions as far as a indoor flying machine I would love to hear them.

Reactions: Farmer
Had the same experience, except for the need of any paper towels ;-) For me the reason was to learn to fly manually, which turned out to be handy when I had compass errors with my P3P recently.

This is a great thread and it clearly demonstrates just why we do need to learn to "Fly" the aircraft just in case one of those "stabilization" system we rely on fails.

I had the prop guard on it, but didn't realize that it would bite me anyway.

Did your Phantom maintain altitude on it's own?

This is a great thread and it clearly demonstrates just why we do need to learn to "Fly" the aircraft just in case one of those "stabilization" system we rely on fails.
Thank you. I enjoyed flying the little thing too!

Reactions: BigAl07
I learned on cheap Husban knock-offs that I brought home from China business trip. Once you figure them out, Phantom is easy.

I learned on cheap Husban knock-offs that I brought home from China business trip. Once you figure them out, Phantom is easy.
As much money as the Phantom cost, I appreciate the fact that it is easy to fly. It would also be a lot more difficult to take pictures and video.

I am ready for whatever weather we get this weekend now... I will either be flying the Phantom across the lake or trying to keep the Hubsan out from under the furniture.

I use a Kodo for practicing. Kinda the same deal you experience with the Hubsan. It's a blast to practice with it tho.

Try the Proto X micro quad, no blood, just as hard to fly
I saw that one too. It does look like a good little quad. I already had the Hubsan on the way though. It appears to have a better camera and recording system.

+1 for hubsan, that's where it all started for me. One thing that doesn't get talked about are the arms that purposely break after a fall (you just snap them back in place)

I had the prop guard on it, but didn't realize that it would bite me anyway.

Did your Phantom maintain altitude on it's own?

With compass error the P3 switches to Atti mode if I am correct, so indeed it will remain altitude, but it will drift with the wind if you let go of the sticks on the controller.

I tend to forget about the trainers in my (SIG) fleet hangar.
Time to charge some small LiPo's? ;-)

"Once around the suite, with banked turns, Captain?"

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Corvette595
I have a BLADE Nano QX RTF Quadcopter retails for $80 and it is an ABSOLUTE blast to fly when you can't get out with P3 due to rain - the agility,steadiness,speed and toughness will blow you away ! Great to train on or land on your cat !

Reactions: Corvette595
Couldn't agree more on some of the comments here.

I've had some other cheaper level quads and I can say that spending a year learning those has made me much better at flying the phantom. In fact the phantom is so easy, it can at times feel boring.

I have no doubt that I could (and have many times) flown without GPS, or when the bird goes crazy.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4