How to achieve better video results?

Reaction score
Last saturday I filmed at a event at night. Although stills are great video just is not that. What settings do you use for video at night?
Used settings: 4K 24P, shutter speed 24, Iso 800 See

Last edited:
My only complaint I've had with the P4 is the jerkiness of the yaw movement, and after adjusting all I could with the settings still ended up modifying the remote as I had on my P2 installing a 20ohm pot with switch to dial in smooth yaw turns. Some achieve this with just a steady hand which I don't have. Or I may have just gotten a jerky remote. One adjustment you can make is with the gimbal tilt, to smooth its movement and eliminate the abrupt stop while tilting, try these settings: Gimbal Tilt Exp 50, Gimbal SmoothTrack 22, Enable Syn. Gimbal Pan Follow On, and Gimbal Wheel Speed about midway. You may want to adjust to your liking. The color looks great, and if I go higher iso, I start getting a lot of grain. One trick I just picked up from the forum is try a night still at iso 100 with 1 to 2 second exposure (if no wind). Take this advice with a grain of salt for I'm no expert, my only work so far is on Vimeo under vVertigo, has examples of yaw and tilt settings. Good work, keep it coming (was that you with the other P4?)

My only complaint I've had with the P4 is the jerkiness of the yaw movement, and after adjusting all I could with the settings still ended up modifying the remote as I had on my P2 installing a 20ohm pot with switch to dial in smooth yaw turns. Some achieve this with just a steady hand which I don't have. Or I may have just gotten a jerky remote. One adjustment you can make is with the gimbal tilt, to smooth its movement and eliminate the abrupt stop while tilting, try these settings: Gimbal Tilt Exp 50, Gimbal SmoothTrack 22, Enable Syn. Gimbal Pan Follow On, and Gimbal Wheel Speed about midway. You may want to adjust to your liking. The color looks great, and if I go higher iso, I start getting a lot of grain. One trick I just picked up from the forum is try a night still at iso 100 with 1 to 2 second exposure (if no wind). Take this advice with a grain of salt for I'm no expert, my only work so far is on Vimeo under vVertigo, has examples of yaw and tilt settings. Good work, keep it coming (was that you with the other P4?)
I love the gimbal smoothness by daylight, so I will definitely try the suggested settings. The other P4 is my brothers, the material on the movie are a combination of these two (the more grainy parts are my brothers on auto settings). We were trying which settings would look better. We both loved manual more.

It doesn't look too bad really, a correctly exposed night scene with bright lights in frame.
Most video cameras are going to struggle once ISO needs bumping up.
You could probably improve it significantly with more serious editing software such as Premiere (or maybe you already did!)

It doesn't look too bad really, a correctly exposed night scene with bright lights in frame.
Most video cameras are going to struggle once ISO needs bumping up.
You could probably improve it significantly with more serious editing software such as Premiere (or maybe you already did!)
I merged the videos with fcpx, still need to know if it's possible to get better results out of it like with photo's in Photoshop. And editing frame for frame is not going to happen

..on a similar subject guys, I was filming at dusk a couple of nights ago. It really was a beautiful evening, everything was drenched in reds and orange colours, when I looked at the footage later everything seemed a bit colourless.
Not entirely without colour but just not what it should have been. Do I turn the white balance down? I'm a wee bit behind when it comes to photography.

..on a similar subject guys, I was filming at dusk a couple of nights ago. It really was a beautiful evening, everything was drenched in reds and orange colours, when I looked at the footage later everything seemed a bit colourless.
Not entirely without colour but just not what it should have been. Do I turn the white balance down? I'm a wee bit behind when it comes to photography.

Check what style profile you're filming in - D-Log tends to look very desaturated (but is the best level of detail you're going to get if you want to make post-production easier). Speaking of, you can use Da Vinci Resolve (Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve 12) (its free) to do colour / contrast correction and colour grading to salvage your footage. There are plenty tut on YouTube

Check what style profile you're filming in - D-Log tends to look very desaturated (but is the best level of detail you're going to get if you want to make post-production easier). Speaking of, you can use Da Vinci Resolve (Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve 12) (its free) to do colour / contrast correction and colour grading to salvage your footage. There are plenty tut on YouTube
Excellent, many thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj