how sturdy are the first ones ?

Reaction score
Obviously I don't plan to crash my phantom but how sturdy are these things ? I did a search and found a thread about a fella in NY that had a bad tumble but that's it .

jaysan said:
Obviously I don't plan to crash my phantom but how sturdy are these things ? I did a search and found a thread about a fella in NY that had a bad tumble but that's it .

They're pretty amazing, very tough.

Define "sturdy."

This brief motor failure caused a crash. I kept on flying that day and for months afterwards. YMMV.

[vimeo]72165505[/vimeo]

Like a half mile fall ? Also is there a fail safe for the phantom if I fly out of range ?

jaysan said:
Like a half mile fall ? Also is there a fail safe for the phantom if I fly out of range ?

Half mile fall? Think about the forces involved if a plastic toy fell from that height.

Mr. Google is your friend re: failsafe - or you could just browse the forum a bit.

I googled didn't find a clear answer . Also I understand that force is involved at that height but this is more of a general crash thread

jaysan said:
I googled didn't find a clear answer . Also I understand that force is involved at that height but this is more of a general crash thread

Don't sweat it :) The shell is surprisingly sturdy for something that on occasion smacks into the ground at 10-50+ mph. A lot of people have "miraculous" crashes that come tumbling down from great height but only bust a prop or two. But that's not the kind of thing you can really rely on. In any substantial crash, you could break props, shatter your gps antenna, break landing gear, bend gimbal mounts, tear off the battery door, and of course bend/crack the shell.

I am new to search engines so I just used key words like failsafe , dji , phantom , and forum .

If you want something that can take a beating. Then buy a anvil of course it would take some pretty good size motors to get in the air. I have had my Phantom 1 for almost a year now and have had some pretty spectacular crashes. None of them intentional but just pursuing this hobby and developing my own limitations. Thru this forum I have learn that I can replace just about anything on this little bird. I have done a complete shell replacement after preforming a almost prefect half loop and it help me learn just a little more about this Phantom. Its the pursuit of learning my own limits and the limits of my aircraft that keeps me in this hobby. As I continue to improve my skill and knowledge. My suggestion is to go out and enjoy your Phantom and stop worrying about what could happen. As far as your question "How sturdy are the the first ones", I'd say they got it just about right.

jaysan said:

My first crash with the Phantom 1 was experienced while practicing a continuous hover taxi around a scoreboard at a football field. I was practicing keeping the camera facing in the direction of the scoreboard with continuous movement. As it went around the back of the board I obviously lost visual, released the controls due to doubt of the proximity to the board. Well, it was close. It sounded like a weedeater hitting a metal fence, it went inverted and fell landing upside down from about 15 feet. I had one blade ( I prefer blade over prop) bent 90 degrees upward. I straightened it up with some finger work. I figured my day of flying was over, however it started up with no issues and flew like nothing ever happened. So far it's still flying well.

I hate it when that happens, but you got admit she is a tough little bird. As a great pilot once told me "I'll take Luck over skill any day". Have fun and be safe.

ElGuano said:
jaysan said:

Don't sweat it :) The shell is surprisingly sturdy for something that on occasion smacks into the ground at 10-50+ mph. A lot of people have "miraculous" crashes that come tumbling down from great height but only bust a prop or two. But that's not the kind of thing you can really rely on. In any substantial crash, you could break props, shatter your gps antenna, break landing gear, bend gimbal mounts, tear off the battery door, and of course bend/crack the shell.

All of my falls have been from no more than 10' up. Only thing I've ever had happen was a cracked prop guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair