How should I mount my TS-353 transmitter?

Reaction score
I have been using a AVL58 transmitter which has a fan and smooth sides making it ideal to mount on the bottom of the phantom using two-sided tape.

My new TS-353 tranmitter has a heat sink on top and some protruding circuit board whatchamacallits on the bottom. I didn't want to use my heavy-duty 2-sided tape for either side. I googled it and see it stuck with tape and velcro on either side. Not too sure if the transmitter would get too hot with it's heat sink buried in tape or if it wold be wiser to let the tape stick all over the circuit board.

How did you mount yours?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender1.jpg
    FullSizeRender1.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 617
  • FullSizeRender2.jpg
    FullSizeRender2.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 606
terrylowe said:
I have been using a AVL58 transmitter which has a fan and smooth sides making it ideal to mount on the bottom of the phantom using two-sided tape.

My new TS-353 tranmitter has a heat sink on top and some protruding circuit board whatchamacallits on the bottom. I didn't want to use my heavy-duty 2-sided tape for either side. I googled it and see it stuck with tape and velcro on either side. Not too sure if the transmitter would get too hot with it's heat sink buried in tape or if it wold be wiser to let the tape stick all over the circuit board.

How did you mount yours?

Like you I have AVL58 taped to the bottom. But you only have one choice on mounting TS-353 TX and that would on the heatsink side and it's not likely to over heat as air will be moving over, around and through the heatsink. The only problem well double side tape hold on the heatsink. 3M makes an extreme mounting tape that should holdup which you get at Home Depot in the paint dept. The tape has 3M printed on the red outer cover. This tape is also very elastic and cannot be pulled off easily.

Did it not come in plastic wrap?

VHB on the heat sink side should work.

dptcalvin said:
Did it not come in plastic wrap?

Well, yes it DID. But then I thought, what is this plastic wrap doing on here..... :?:

ImmersioonRC recommends leaving it on. Don't know what Boscam says about their transmitters.

In the images used in this manual the protective transparent shrink-wrap is
removed to be able to take clear photos, during use the shrink-wrap should NEVER be
removed as it protects the electronic components fitted to the PCB and safeguards the
transmitter from accidental short-circuits when in close contact with metallic or
conductive (carbon fiber) surfaces. I.e. always leave the shrink-wrap on, do NOT take it
off.

http://www.immersionrc.com/manuals/Imme ... W%20Tx.pdf

dptcalvin said:
ImmersioonRC recommends leaving it on. Don't know what Boscam says about their transmitters.

LOL! Maybe they shouldn't make it look like packaging!!! Or wrap it up in a warning label so that "who-reads-the-directions-anyway guy" here doesn't rip it off.

I think I may have a solution that works for me. Will post a pic if it works out the way I am thinking.

My AVL58 is just stuck to the underside with 3M VHB
Mind you, my AVL58 doesn't have a fan. I wonder if it's supposed to. I didn't build mine, so can't be sure it was built correctly.

I take the "shrink wrap" off my transmitters, you certainly aren't hurting anything. You want the heat sink side facing ""out" or "down" and mount it via the other side obviously. I put 2 strips of 3M outdoor double-sided tape across the side with the little yellow blocks and simply taped it on the P2 belly, near the rear. bear in mind:
you don't want it pointed straight out the center of the back because the antenna might interfere with the battery release clip. best to either mount it or point it slightly to one side. It is recommended to have the FPV transmit antenna AWAY from the compass leg, so if you're looking at the rear of the Phantom from behind, to the left... either straight back on the left side, or in the center and angled to the left.

I mounted mine on the side. Put a strip of balsa wood between legs and mounted it with two zip ties. Good air flow over heat sink and the antenna is not obstructed by gimbal/gopro etc. Cables through front leg hole.

more pictures... http://imgur.com/a/XQkF5

Attachments

• IMG_20150107_181811.jpg
    IMG_20150107_181811.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 516
that's nice mendezl but do you find you have dead zones when the Phantom is in certain orientations? it looks like the gimbal/gopro would block the antenna sometimes, like if you were (Facing the phantom) off to the left. anyway not bashing on it, looks good a lot of guys are doing that with their vTx now

QYV said:
I take the "shrink wrap" off my transmitters, you certainly aren't hurting anything. You want the heat sink side facing ""out" or "down" and mount it via the other side obviously. I put 2 strips of 3M outdoor double-sided tape across the side with the little yellow blocks and simply taped it on the P2 belly, near the rear. bear in mind:
you don't want it pointed straight out the center of the back because the antenna might interfere with the battery release clip. best to either mount it or point it slightly to one side. It is recommended to have the FPV transmit antenna AWAY from the compass leg, so if you're looking at the rear of the Phantom from behind, to the left... either straight back on the left side, or in the center and angled to the left.

+1 Thanks

mendezl said:
I mounted mine on the side. Put a strip of balsa wood between legs and mounted it with two zip ties. Good air flow over heat sink and the antenna is not obstructed by gimbal/gopro etc. Cables through front leg hole.

+1 Thanks

QYV said:
that's nice mendezl but do you find you have dead zones when the Phantom is in certain orientations? it looks like the gimbal/gopro would block the antenna sometimes, like if you were (Facing the phantom) off to the left. anyway not bashing on it, looks good a lot of guys are doing that with their vTx now

There is some potential for weaker signal when the phantom is traveling right and slightly away. But I find this location provides 100% signal when the phantom is moving away from me and and when it is traveling at me (if it is placed underneath behind the battery it is completely blocked by gopro gimbal when the phantom is facing you.) I may take some pictures with the phantom in different orientations to see how much of the antenna is exposed to the open. I'm really happy with boscam, glad I whent this route. FPVLR are awesome.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers