How Pro is Pro?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm interested in getting into aerial photography and I'm considering the P3P, as I've heard and seen some good work with these units. I'm wondering if there are any folks using or considering using is for pay work? Retailers are trying to push me into the Inspire line, but I'm a one man shop at the moment and a lot of those features (ex. multiuser operations) wouldn't be used. Is the picture quality there or do I need the X5(R)?

Thanks.

The X5 is probably overkill for most people. Even the P2V+ can produce stunning images, so the P3A should be good enough if you have no use for 4K video. You should save your money for a pliot's license and insurance.

Check out what this guy does with his P3:
http://flytpath.com/portfolio

Definitely the Phantom 3 Professional. Easiest setup, best camera and easiest to fly. It's the best one man drone out on the market. I bought the Executive package from Drone World, and it is the best package on internet. It is everything I needed and more. You can't go wrong. I bought mine for Christmas, have at least 12 flights already. I am still so amazed on how stable it is. No matter what altitude. Good luck and safe flying!

DJI Phantom 3 Pro/Adv Kits Bundle (In Stock & Free Ship) | Inspire 1 (Drone World)

It's kinda pro. If you are wanting to use one as a primary source of income, I would go with the inspire line. If it's just an add on to your services I'd say the p3p is just fine. What line of work? Do you already have your ppl?

The PRO may be eh.. it shoots video in 4k but the still images to my knowledge are still the same @ 12mp

I have the Advanced and my father has the Pro. Both are nearly identical. By the time I have a need for 4k I'm sure there will be a Phantom 5 out :)

Why? (I'm curious.)
More flexibility. Depending on the type of work he will be doing, it might or might not be beneficial. If he needs very high quality detailed images the x5/r would be much better, having the gear lift out of the way might be trivial for a lot of people, but makes all the difference for others. I know he's a one man band right now, but again depending on what it will be used for, having the option to have a camera operator separate from the pilot is very nice for complex dynamic shots.

For me, it would come down to what are my primary uses for the craft.

the still images to my knowledge are still the same @ 12mp
All Phantom 3 models shoot the same quality photos.

Reactions: BVC
All Phantom 3 models shoot the same quality photos.

That's what I thought from last I checked (when I bought my unit half a year ago!)

However.. I'm still new so it may be a dumb question but - if you shot video in 4k is there a way to extract a frame from the video which could yield a better quality photo?

Of course this wouldn't be in RAW format and would be an on-board semi-processed video/image but just seeing if the quality would be better than the stills

if you shot video in 4k is there a way to extract a frame from the video which could yield a better quality photo?
Yes. But, the RAW photo quality is much better.

I think it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are shooting event/wedding video's I think the P3P can do that. I am not certain but I think the quality of video between the two is fairly close. The upside of the inspire is retractable landing gear and independent camera operation. I would say it is a business decision. If your budget allows for the inspire go with it. If it doesn't, I think the Phantom will do the job.

Hi everyone, I'm interested in getting into aerial photography and I'm considering the P3P, as I've heard and seen some good work with these units. I'm wondering if there are any folks using or considering using is for pay work? Retailers are trying to push me into the Inspire line, but I'm a one man shop at the moment and a lot of those features (ex. multiuser operations) wouldn't be used. Is the picture quality there or do I need the X5(R)?

Thanks.
You can't use quad copters for paid work without special paperwork from the FAA.

The upside of the inspire is retractable landing gear and independent camera operation.
FWIW, I found the retractable landing gear is pretty useless without a second operator to control the camera. It's much easier to yaw than rotate the camera. And, after the camera has been rotated, it's tough to fly (via FPV) if the camera is not rotated back to the center position.

tl;dr: Don't get an Inspire 1 if you plan to fly alone.

Reactions: 4wd
You can't use quad copters for paid work without special paperwork from the FAA.

Which IIRC you need a pilots license????

Complete BS if you ask me. I can see needing a license to operate a drone for business use. I can't see how flying a drone as a hobby on the weekends then using it to inspect roofs on homes during the work week requires someone who knows how to fly a small plane around the state!!!!

I would call the Inspire 1 (pro or otherwise) and Phantom 3 to be prosumer level products. NOT professional grade. We have a Freefly Alta and that is what I would call a professional platform for aerial work.

Thanks.

My brother uses his P3P for paid freelance videography. He just shot raw footage using it for the 3 biggest car dealerships in our area and used in their TV commercials. So, it's apparently professional enough.

Which IIRC you need a pilots license????

Complete BS if you ask me. I can see needing a license to operate a drone for business use. I can't see how flying a drone as a hobby on the weekends then using it to inspect roofs on homes during the work week requires someone who knows how to fly a small plane around the state!!!!

You don't need a pilots license. You need a 333 Exception.

Section 333 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You don't need a pilots license. You need a 333 Exception.

Section 333 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
And, the approved 333 exemption will require a pilot's license.

Per the FAQ you linked to above:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do I need a pilot's license to petition for exemption under Section 333?
A. By law, the FAA cannot authorize an aircraft operation in the National Airspace without a certificated pilot in command of the aircraft (Title 49 of United States Code § 44711). Exemptions granted in accordance with Section 333 carry the following requirement regarding the pilot in command (PIC) of the aircraft:

Under this grant of exemption, a PIC must hold either an airline transport, commercial, private, recreational, or sport pilot certificate. The PIC must also hold a current FAA airman medical certificate or a valid U.S. driver's license issued by a state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, a territory, a possession, or the Federal government. The PIC must also meet the flight review requirements specified in 14 CFR § 61.56 in an aircraft in which the PIC is rated on his or her pilot certificate.

More information about obtaining pilot certification is available at:
http://www.faa.gov/pilots/.

You won't get much better image quality below the X5, all the Phantom range and original Inspire 1 cameras are fixed focus and fixed aperture with tiny sensors. Basically point and shoot quality. However the DNG files can produce stunning results if you get the exposure spot on. The fixed 2.8 aperture is less of a problem with the wide angle lens and you will probably be shooting at a distance so you will still get sharp photos. In calm conditions you can get bracketed exposures which goes some way to replacing an adjustable grad set. Noise can be a problem at all ISO's.

I can carry a Phantom as well as all my Nikon gear for long distances, this wouldn't be practical with the Inspire. You might also want to consider the amount of money you have invested in an Inspire 1 with X5 and how a crash would impact your ability to replace your gear. If you are doing paid shoots you also have to seriously consider a comparable backup set to ensure you can complete assignments!

And, the approved 333 exemption will require a pilot's license.

Per the FAQ you linked to above:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do I need a pilot's license to petition for exemption under Section 333?
A. By law, the FAA cannot authorize an aircraft operation in the National Airspace without a certificated pilot in command of the aircraft (Title 49 of United States Code § 44711). Exemptions granted in accordance with Section 333 carry the following requirement regarding the pilot in command (PIC) of the aircraft:

Under this grant of exemption, a PIC must hold either an airline transport, commercial, private, recreational, or sport pilot certificate. The PIC must also hold a current FAA airman medical certificate or a valid U.S. driver's license issued by a state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, a territory, a possession, or the Federal government. The PIC must also meet the flight review requirements specified in 14 CFR § 61.56 in an aircraft in which the PIC is rated on his or her pilot certificate.

More information about obtaining pilot certification is available at:
http://www.faa.gov/pilots/.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic