How often do you change propellers

Reaction score
I am wondering when I should be changing my props. Assuming you are not flying into things and bending and chipping up your props.

I am worried that maybe after a good amount of hours on a set of props they could become compromised.

I would be thinking that if you inspected them before and after each flight, wiped them down and kept them out of direct sunlight that they would be just fine. Any signs of stress cracks or discolouration would see them go straight in the bin. I have over 90klms on my current props and they still look brand new.

Reactions: DroneOnNDP
Real helicopter rotor blades have a specified service life but I expect quadcopter props to last pretty much indefinitely if reasonably cared for. For maximum security you might want to replace after an accident or significant strike but other than that just a visual inspection should do.

Reactions: DroneOnNDP
I've had my P4P since Dec 22, before that a P3P for about 18 months, and a P2V+ about another 6 months...and I have never changed them. Never seen any problem with them........

Yeah, they are not left out in the Sun, which could cause the to deteriorate, so unless you damage them in some way or cracks develop they should last indefinitely. I only needed to replace on prop on my I1 Pro when I hit a tree -- see video of the incident.

So, as long as you don't f'up and hit something there should not be a problem keeping them in service as long as you own or use it.

Brian

Reactions: azgeek
Nice instructional video, Brian. And glad you got away with just a broken prop.

Thanks, and as I mention in the video, rushing is the lit fuse of a f'up. Always a good idea to do some planning and to scout the area before flying. Google Earth is a great tool, but you also need to use your own eyes to see things like power pole and wires. And, the fact that I could see the drone didn't mean I was safe because at that distance you have very poor depth perception for nearby objects.

Brian

I am wondering when I should be changing my props. Assuming you are not flying into things and bending and chipping up your props.

I am worried that maybe after a good amount of hours on a set of props they could become compromised.

I did some research," dji " says the drone alerts when it's time to change propellers. (Very skeptical, but if the drone via imu detects imbalance, this is more than possible!) ....
On healty drone. com, you can control the drift, which in the absence of wind, helps you understand the imbalance and its possible replacement.
Last but important, take good visual controlled propellers, will always be the greatest.

I could not find any information on when to change props. So I set my own standard of 100 miles of flight. After 100 miles of flight my orginal props looked very good, But I changed them out to new ones anyway. I just don't know how much the props degrade over use. As far as ii know they my be good for 1000 miles of flight or more. But props are relitively cheap so I errored on the side of caution.

What worry's me is all the bugs I hit. Bug juice all over them in the summer. Don't know how big the bugs are, just know there are a lot of them.

Last edited:
Props are cheap. Crashes are not. There is no defined life cycle. I retire props after 100 rotations unless they look 100% spotless.

the only time I changed any props is when my cat used them for a chew toy.
that was the ones on the phantom 2 vision.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl