How often do fall and flyaways really happen?

Reaction score
Lads and Lassies

Am wonderin if any ave yeas ha put some stats together regardin Falls, Failures and Flyaways?

An affy lot oh threads suggestin it happens maer than ah wid like tae consider.

How many ave yeas hae this happened tae? and how often.

Micht make fer interestin readin if someone put a wee spreadsheet together.

Maybees some crafty gudgie hae already done it?

Whit dae ye think?

An affy lot oh threads suggestin it happens maer than ah wid like tae consider.
Is this English? It's hard to follow what you're writing.

I don't think there is a way to quantify the data as you would like because most people only write when they have a flyaway or drop out of the sky but not everyone posts every time they have a successful flight. If you fly on a partially charged, cold, or in auto discharge mode battery, you can expect it to fall out of the sky.

Unfortunately Google translate doesn't do Scottish.

Thankfully I sometimes work in Scotland and even though I am a guffie b**tard I could understand every word :D.

To answer your question, it is probably a lot less than you might think bearing in mind how many of these things DJI has sold.

Mark.

No idea, maybe only DJI has some stats on this. But it must be a small fraction, I´d guess really small. As aways, it makes a lot of noise and gets a lot of attention, this getting amplified. Which is to be expected.

Reactions: Solar Deity
I think there is truly no way we will ever be able to quantify this because like has been pointed out a number of times. People rarely post I flew around had a great time landed without incident. What we see here is OMG!!! P3 flew away landed in the ocean! P3 spun out of control landed in the river never to be seen again. TBH it is great to see those stories because most of the time lessons can be learned from them and should it happen to you .... (sign of the cross) you know what to do and what to expect for warranty. I think you see a ton of posts on these types of incidents with the P3 because it is by far the most popular quad in it's class.

There are no hard stats. I will say that through experience, many claimed fly aways are user error. Some are legitimate.

The most common issues with the P3 seem to be battery failure (logic or bad cell) and prop loss.

The most common user errors are not following best practice with the compass, CFIT, and accidental CSC.

There is nothing random about the reports on this board. Heavily biased towards failures. Only way would be to take a statistically valid RANDOM sample, with enough participants so the study is appropriately powered. Lots of confounding factors would muddy the validity of the results, and require a large sample and subgroup analysis, including pilot experience, firmware version, P3 production date, geographic location, etc. We'd need some capital to fund the study and a statistician. Anyone have a lot of money you're not using at the moment? Let's do this! :)

BTW, do Scots really type the way they talk? :)

BTW, do Scots really type the way they talk? :)

A tricky question old boy, let me see if I can elucidate:-

Michty me lad, fit aer ye sayin? Div ye think am nae talkin proper or whit? Let mae tell yeas am taepin the qwines English perfict, dont ye ken?

There is nothing random about the reports on this board. Heavily biased towards failures. Only way would be to take a statistically valid RANDOM sample, with enough participants so the study is appropriately powered. Lots of confounding factors would muddy the validity of the results, and require a large sample and subgroup analysis, including pilot experience, firmware version, P3 production date, geographic location, etc. We'd need some capital to fund the study and a statistician. Anyone have a lot of money you're not using at the moment? Let's do this! :)

Ave got a feal twa poends an faer pence tae start thae study, Now thats ah handsom amount aeh coin aen nae mistaek.

Raggi

Battery failure happened to my p3p resulting in a broken camera and gimbal. If I read more threads before flight I could've possibly prevented the crash. Warranty covered the cost but from now on I'll be paranoid. It'll be a while before I can confidently fly over water without the image of my drone loosing power..

*keep batteries warm in cold weather

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Have had one flyaway BUT it was entirely my own fault and the drone was doing exactly what it is designed to do. I changed locations by about 3 miles, took off immediately without allowing the home point to be changed and the battery dropped below its set level and so went into RTH mode and tried to return to the previous home location. My fault and so really shouldn't be counted as a flyaway in any statistics!

By the way, that fake Scottish dialectical typing is a bit silly. It's not typing in a foreign language and is no more valid than typing in a Yorkshire accent for example. As part Scottish myself, it doesn't impress particularly. Had you written in genuine Scottish language it might have been interesting, despite being meaningless to pretty much everyone on here as I doubt we have many fluent speakers of the same! LOL.

Reactions: msinger
Have had one flyaway BUT it was entirely my own fault and the drone was doing exactly what it is designed to do. I changed locations by about 3 miles, took off immediately without allowing the home point to be changed and the battery dropped below its set level and so went into RTH mode and tried to return to the previous home location. My fault and so really shouldn't be counted as a flyaway in any statistics!
By the way, that fake Scottish dialectical typing is a bit silly. It's not typing in a foreign language and is no more valid than typing in a Yorkshire accent for example. As part Scottish myself, it doesn't impress particularly. Had you written in genuine Scottish language it might have been interesting, despite being meaningless to pretty much everyone on here as I doubt we have many fluent speakers of the same! LOL.
Weal now Robbie boy, fer div aeh starcht?
Yev just posted that ye had aah flyaway, but it wis yer aen fault, so no flyaway at aell.
Fit wis the point in saein that?
Jest a veihicle tae hav a pop at ma funnin wi thae typein am thinkin.
I. LOVED. EVERY.WORD.OF.YOUR.REPLY!
That was awesome! I can hear Scotland in your typing.
So cool!
L ;)
It looks as tho nae everyone shares yer opinion Pal. Lauren (Female frae San Fran) seems tae be fair takin wi ma patter.See ma Lochindorb video fer above. Shes nae the only wun.

Maybees ye shud just put a wee bit aeh distance between ma posts and yersel. there now thats wis easy eh?:smiley:
As part Scottish myself, it doesn't impress particularly.
Its nae all about you Rob. Am nae tae bothered about fit yer opinion is wi an attitude like yers.

Try no tae talk thro yer Scottish part, and jest keep yer opinions up there.:kissingclosed:

Part Scottish? :hushed: michty me its embarisin, so it is.

Raggi

Last edited:
I'm wondering how many of the folks that have issues had previous hard landings or other incidents that may have contributed to the problem reported.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic