How not get screwed on eclipse day?

Reaction score
I wanna be sure I got everything figured out for eclipse day. My drone works so that's good so I wanna create a check list

-how do I check I have enough memory for video
-can I delete cache video to make space for new cache video (the things that get uploaded on iphone)
-how much memory should I have on reserve?
-I have 3 batteries
-best time to record eclipse video of it getting dark? Would wanna do like 5-8 min video. 10:17am in Oregon.

Should I point the drone to sun or away?

I would be a little fearful if you could point your camera to the sun. It is not like doing a sunset video. The sun,s rays will be a lot stronger. A landscape video could really be interesting. I would think 1 battery would be enough. A SLR on a tripod with the proper filter would be another good setup. Good luck.

-how do I check I have enough memory for video
Memory is RAM, not storage. How do you check? You put the SD card into a computer and see how much room there is. Hint: it won't be more than the storage capacity of the card as listed on it's sticker.

-can I delete cache video to make space for new cache video (the things that get uploaded on iphone)
The Go app has a setting that allows for this. You really want to keep a 720 version of the video on the SD card?

-how much memory should I have on reserve?
Not memory. How much video do you want to take? It really depends on that, obviously. It also depends on the resolution of the video you are taking.

-I have 3 batteries
OK

Should I point the drone to sun or away?
You want a video of the sun from a drone? Why not either use a camera or simply hold the drone, pointed up. The camera on the drone only pointed up at a 15 degree angle. At around 11am you may not be able to get the sun in a launched drone shot.

I'll be in the totality zone too, Pinkneyville, Illinois area.

Will be situated on large farmland acreage.

My plan is to launch and hover to around 400 feet, three minutes before totality. Aim camera away from the sun, pointed so that it's mainly land, but some horizon. Then enjoy the show myself, unencumbered by the recording P3A.

But, I'll be only about 25 miles from Carbondale, Illinois... the longest totality in the country at some 2 min 43 sec.

I'm giving up some totality time in order to stay on realative's farm where we'll have 1 min 20 sec. thus avoiding astronomical (pun intended) crowds, parking, and traffic.

I hear they are erecting auxiliary data/cellular towers to handle overload.

If I launch without cellular, data, or both.... will I have any problems?

This area always confused me.

Thanks!

Reactions: Erised
I'll be in the totality zone too, Pinkneyville, Illinois area.

Will be situated on large farmland acreage.

My plan is to launch and hover to around 400 feet, three minutes before totality. Aim camera away from the sun, pointed so that it's mainly land, but some horizon. Then enjoy the show myself, unencumbered by the recording P3A.

But, I'll be only about 25 miles from Carbondale, Illinois... the longest totality in the country at some 2 min 43 sec.

I'm giving up some totality time in order to stay on realative's farm where we'll have 1 min 20 sec. thus avoiding astronomical (pun intended) crowds, parking, and traffic.

I hear they are erecting auxiliary data/cellular towers to handle overload.

If I launch without cellular, data, or both.... will I have any problems?

This area always confused me.

Thanks!
You can fly without cellular or data, if your maps are not cashed you just wont have the map but you can still fly as usual.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan