How much time do you really get out of your batteries?

jdawson said:
Just wondering if anyone really gets 10 min.
I have recorded video clips that long but that includes some amount of pre takeoff and post landing time.

I routinely get two 4 minute or so flights and normally just swap batteries at that point whether I got the low battery warning or not.

If I don't have the camera attached, I'd say i get at least 10 minutes. less if I have the camera.
I don't risk it either , so I land once I see the red light blinking. and switch to my 2nd battery... they say it's not good to let the battery drop down below 20% anyhow.

yes, you can change the settings, but do be careful, it's set that way so that you'll have ample juice to return and land. (or for it to automatically land itself when super low on power or for RTH).
Best to stock up on batteries (when they become available that is), than to push the limit of flying time.

If I don't have the camera attached, I'd say i get at least 10 minutes. less if I have the camera.
I don't risk it either , so I land once I see the red light blinking. and switch to my 2nd battery... they say it's not good to let the battery drop down below 20% anyhow.

yes, you can change the settings, but do be careful, it's set that way so that you'll have ample juice to return and land. (or for it to automatically land itself when super low on power or for RTH).
Best to stock up on batteries (when they become available that is), than to push the limit of flying time.

With stock props and just the mount no camera, hover only I get 12 min 48 seconds.
With GemFan 9x4,7 props = 14:06.
Graupner 8x5 = 12:40

With my Contour Roam camera (heavier than Hero), I get around 8 minutes.

i have not timed my flights, but don't forget that the more aggressive you fly, the less time you will have up in the air.

tanasit said:
With stock props and just the mount no camera, hover only I get 12 min 48 seconds.
Interesting. The GemFan numbers would suggest that the stock props are perhaps a bit too aggressive in pitch for the motors. Would need more extensive testing to be sure.

pwright said:
tanasit said:
Interesting. The GemFan numbers would suggest that the stock props are perhaps a bit too aggressive in pitch for the motors. Would need more extensive testing to be sure.

For slow moving air craft, the larger diameter with less pitch prop will be more efficient than the smaller diameter prop with higher pitch assuming both props can be handled by the same motor (not much weight differences) and can lift the craft.
In our case the Gemfan is just a little heavier than the stock prop but not too large. The 10" prop can't be used because the tips will hit each others.
Note also that I almost didn't have to adjust the throttle to keep the Gemfan/Phantom hover at the same altitude all 14 minutes but with the stock prop I had to raise the throttle 2 times at 6 and 10 minute mark while it was dropping the altitude.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.