How much load can the Phantom 2 carry?

Reaction score
I am looking to carry a calibration object through 3D space with a drone. This involves attaching balls (beach ball, soft balls, etc) or hanging a rod with balls attached on each end to hang below the drone as it flies. My questions are really two. One, what kind of load can the drone effectively carry? Am I likely to exceed it with these types of attachments? Two, do I need to keep the objects limited in size, because the wind resistance on the wand will unbalance it's flight? Clearly, I would have to work hard to make sure the weight distribution of whatever I choose as the wand will be equally distributed with respect to the drone.

So I found part of my answer, they recommend not exceeding an additional 58 grams with a max load of 108 grams. However, has anyone actually exceeded this 108 grams of additional weight? If so how did it effect the flight?

Someone started a post a couple of weeks ago asking "What does your Phantom weigh?" but it got hijacked pretty quickly.
Maybe if some Phantoms enter the Beer Lift Contest, we can find out. [link]

The spec for my P2 is 1350gm if I recall, but it weighs in at 1440gm. You can add weight until it won't get off the ground. It isn't unsafe but it will reduce the endurance a lot. Well, if you're barely flying, then it would be unstable as you don't have the reserve lift to make corrections to the attitude.

I would be concerned about a load suspended below the Phantom swinging about and destabilizing the aircraft.

Please let us know what you wind up doing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj