How much experience do I need to switch from Phantom Mode?

Reaction score
I see a lot of advantages to flying in NAZA mode, but how do I know when it's safe to switch? I know I don't feel comfortable now, having only been out two times...

Re: How much experience do I need to switch from Phantom Mod

Even if you're not planning on using the extra settings/modes right now, it's a good idea to switch to Naza-M mode and learn how it can help to bail you out of trouble in case you need it. With both the S1 and S2 switches in the top position, your Phantom will fly like it's in Phantom mode. So, even after switching to Naza-M mode, you can still fly as if you are in Phantom mode.

This video explains the extra settings/modes you'll have available to you after switching to Naza-M mode:

Last edited:

I changed on my third flight. Experience is not the issue. With both switches up, it is the same as Phantom mode.

Enabling naza gives you much more control. No downside that I can see.

edonovanl said:
I see a lot of advantages to flying in NAZA mode, but how do I know when it's safe to switch? I know I don't feel comfortable now, having only been out two times...

IMO you can switch over when you have a decent understanding of how NAZA mode affects your flying. The various switch positions and what they mean and how they are used, the LED sequences and what they mean.

With the IOC functions NAZA is safer and easier to fly than Phantom mode

edonovanl said:
Before the first flight.
Seriously, the Phantom mode is simplified for the owner who has a problem with up and down, left and right. It makes the position of S1 and S2 irrelevant except the later versions of the firmware added RTH to S1.
If you can remember to fly with S1 and S2 in the "up" position, then for all practical purposes you are in the Phantom mode.

NAZA mode makes S2 (IOC) functional, and adds the option for Manual mode in S1. Don't try Manual Mode unless you have at least 10 hours of ATTI flight logged. (Not GPS flight).
The hardest part of flying in NAZA mode are the LED signals.

As long as you remember to push both S1 and S2 switches into the UP position before flight you can't really go wrong.

Program the S1 3rd position to FAILSAFE and you'll have even more confidence if something does go wrong.

Occassionally I'll fly a customers Phantom to test it and if it's in Phantom mode I hate not having the RTH and HL options.

SteveMann said:
edonovanl said:
The hardest part of flying in NAZA mode are the LED signals.
And even that is fixed with the help of a simple sticker like the one from UAVstickers.com

web%20LED.jpg

http://www.uavstickers.com/phantom-identity-set.php

All that seems to be missing is the additional set of rapid Greens for Course Lock/Heading direction storage.
(When IOC is enabled)

The only experience you need is knowing how to switch it over. Really, I have not ever heard anyone say they switched back. Just pat attention to the others posts about switch positions & light flashes. Good luck with it.

http://www.uavstickers.com/resources/web%20LED.jpg

N017RW said:
All that seems to be missing is the additional set of rapid Greens for Course Lock/Heading direction storage.
(When IOC is enabled)

Good point, those just starting out will think the first set of rapid greens is Home Point lock, but it's actually CL/Heading lock, wouldn't want to take off too early, Patience is a Phantom $aved. So to be precise, the Heading lock rapid-greens occur during the Satellite search series of red and greens after warm-up, then after 6 Sats have been locked we get the 2nd set of rapid-greens, locking-in your Home Point for Failsafe/RTH (Return to Home) functionality. Once the Motors start, the Front LEDs will light-up Red, RTFly

I don't think there is any reason NOT to use Naza mode. The only reason they put the warnings on there is because they assume the general public is too stupid to make sure both S switches are in the right positions. If checking these pre flight is too much for anyone I would suggest finding another hobby. Let Darwinism take over and find a new hobby like guns.

You sound like an intelligent guy so I doubt you would have that problem. You don't even have to set a switch to manual at all if you don't want to.
Naza mode and enabling IOC less dangerous and safer than Phantom mode. Course lock can save your *** if your video connection is lost and your bird is outside LOS.
This allows you to pull back on the stick and no matter which way the Phantom is faceing it will come straight beck to the established home point. I have my S1 switch set to GPS in up position, atti in center and atti on lower. S2 switch is set GPS or off in first position, course lock in 2nd position and home lock in 3rd positon which is down.

ccase39 said:
Course lock can save your *** if your video connection is lost and your bird is outside LOS.
This allows you to pull back on the stick and no matter which way the Phantom is faceing it will come straight beck to the established home point.

You mean Home Lock.

Thank you all for the comments - I think I'm ready to make the switch but will spend some time reviewing the settings and watching some videos.

knowonecares said:
http://www.uavstickers.com/resources/web%20LED.jpg

N017RW said:
(When IOC is enabled)

Good point, those just starting out will think the first set of rapid greens is Home Point lock, but it's actually CL/Heading lock, wouldn't want to take off too early, Patience is a Phantom $aved. So to be precise, the Heading lock rapid-greens occur during the Satellite search series of red and greens after warm-up, then after 6 Sats have been locked we get the 2nd set of rapid-greens, locking-in your Home Point for Failsafe/RTH (Return to Home) functionality. Once the Motors start, the Front LEDs will light-up Red, RTFly

Sorry, got me checking my understanding now.

First set of green flashes means it's completed it's healthcheck.

Second set of green flashes means it has >6 sats and has locked home position and initial course.

Am I right ?

If you have IOC enabled- after warmup (30 sec. or so.) you will get the 1st set of rapid greens.
This indicates the current a/c heading will be the forward reference heading for Course Lock.

The 2nd set indicates >6 GPS SVs have been acquired (reliable position fix).

Sometimes I have had both sets of rapid green flashes in succession so I restart to assure each is observed individually.

Upon applying 10% or more throttle the current position and altitude is set for the Home Lock or point reference.

You're now cleared for take-off!

N017RW said:
If you have IOC enabled- after warmup (30 sec. or so.) you will get the 1st set of rapid greens.
This indicates the current a/c heading will be the forward reference heading for Course Lock.

Sometimes I have had both sets of rapid green flashes in succession so I restart to assure each is observed individually.

Upon applying 10% or more throttle the current position and altitude is set for the Home Lock or point reference.

lovely thanks

N017RW said:

I like it when someone actually explains something properly. Good job sir. I saw a video yesterday on someone explaining how to use the S1 switch to enter compass calibration. He racked the switch at least 10 times like he was in a drag race . Too bad that there is so much bad info and videos posted on forums and youtube.

Thank you Monte.

I enjoy your posts as well. :cool:

Well, thank you. There are so many times I would like to respond to a post but If I am not sure, I will stay silent. Bad information is worse than no information.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj