How much does the FAA care?

Reaction score
My friend recently took some pictures with his p3p of a college football stadium and it got a lot of media attention, Dallas Morning News, Fox Sports, stuff like that. From the rumors I have heard the stadium is in a no fly zone, should my friend be expecting a call from the FAA or do they not bother with petty stuff like this?

Also a lot of people have asked him to sell print outs of the shots, at $100 each this is tempting but not worth the apparent $11,000 fine from the FAA by violating commercial use of UASs. So the same question, should he be worried about this or would the FAA look past something like this on such a relatively small scale?

If anyone has credible knowledge on either of these topics please let me know.

If he already has received a lot of media attention, it's probably more likely than not that he'll be contacted by the FAA if the stadium was indeed a no fly zone (which I don't know enough about to comment on)

It's probably best that he doesn't push his luck trying to sell prints, but if he could do it with absolutely no paper trail (think burn phones, cash only, etc) maybe he could try it.

sounds like you're getting into some drug dealer level stuff at that point though.

usually "little guys" aren't pursued by FAA, but because he has received national attention he's an easy victim for them

Reactions: jcknows0
I was just imagining Breaking Bad (Drone style)

Reactions: NickCopter
From what I have read - you need permission to fly stadiums if there is no event going on from the owner of the property (In this case it sounds like the college). They only become "No-fly-zones" when there is an event being held (such as a football game or a concert) etc.

Gov't moves slowly. A visit months later, wouldn't surprise me. IRS audits people YEARS after the fact.

Ok that makes sense! Thank you

What about selling the photos?

I think the FAA might get interested if the person started selling the photo's because it is pretty clear that the hobby exemption for flying these things is strictly for non-commercial purposes. WILL your friend get in trouble? Who knows... Can he get in trouble? Yes. Will he have to pay $11000? Again who knows? If he's got a decent lawyer, probably not ;)

As far as I've read, nobody has been fined or jailed or anything for selling photographs (commercial use), they've just been issued warnings.

However, as mentioned before, if he didn't have a right to fly over the stadium (college's property?) then he may be fine with the FAA, but have to deal with a lawsuit from the college if they so choose.

It's a fairly risky deal all the way around with what he did lol.

Ok thanks for the help guys, I know he wants to make money off of this but the legal trouble might not be worth it

Ok thanks for the help guys, I know he wants to make money off of this but the legal trouble might not be worth it

Mo' Money = Mo' Problems

Reactions: NickCopter
Ok thanks for the help guys, I know he wants to make money off of this.........
He can't make money commercially and also claim hobby/recreation status. He needs to apply for a 333 exemption, and hope that the Pilot cert is done away with in the regulations that are coming soon.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik