How much does radio towers effect signal??

Reaction score
I am new to this so I am not positive on the terminology, but I will try. I have 25? flights with a P3S, and have been loving it. I was getting a message all the time saying poor signal fly with caution. I was getting aggravated with it so I ordered a new Inspire 1 holder for a tablet, and while I was at it I ordered an Itelite antenna and upgraded it as well. Well when I went out to test it I was getting lines going across my iPad Mini, so I thought it was a signal issue, but when I switched back to my iPhone that was cleared up, so not sure why thats happening. I was in a field, and sent the drone about 300' up, and headed away, at about 800' it did a RTH and came back. I was a little disappointed and emailed Maxx, and they have been great, and trying to walk me thru and get the files. I uploaded them to HealthyDrones, and everything looked OK as far as the signal, so I am not sure why I am still having an issue. There is a large radio tower about 2000' away behind me, which I am sure has multiple radio antenna, and cell signals. So is that what is giving me the issues, and is there a way to see why I am getting the weak signal?

TIA Derek

Maybe the way you are aiming the panel and those lines are they constant or just at times . I guess certain towers might give you troubles
and I havn't tried to fly around one of those radio towers as we only have one and it's in town .
But did this just really to test for myself and had no signal issues .

There is a large radio tower about 2000' away behind me, which I am sure has multiple radio antenna, and cell signals. So is that what is giving me the issues
Try flying in a different location and see if the same thing happens. That'll be the easiest way to see if the radio tower is negatively affecting the signal.

Thanks for the replies. When I get some time I am going to try and get out of town. I am about 5min North of Boston, so its hard to find someplace that is quiet from noise. I was flying away from the tower but it is about 1800-2000' to the rear of me

Derek

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

I have a P3S with the Itelite DBS panel. It helped with distance and a solid signal but you have to keep in mind the panel is directional. You need to "aim" the panel toward the quad. Orientation of the quad can make a difference too due to the configuration of the antennas on the quad itself. By your description it sounds like you were plenty far away enough from the towers.

I use an iPad Mini 2 and or an iPhone 6+ and both work well. I would try the iPad again, maybe hard reboot it. Also, be sure nothing else is running on the device you use. The Go app uses a lot of resources.

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

I have a P3S with the Itelite DBS panel. It helped with distance and a solid signal but you have to keep in mind the panel is directional. You need to "aim" the panel toward the quad. Orientation of the quad can make a difference too due to the configuration of the antennas on the quad itself. By your description it sounds like you were plenty far away enough from the towers.

I use an iPad Mini 2 and or an iPhone 6+ and both work well. I would try the iPad again, maybe hard reboot it. Also, be sure nothing else is running on the device you use. The Go app uses a lot of resources.

Thanks for the kind words. I am working with them and trying to share the link to my flight so he can give me some insight.

Derek

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr