How much attention do you get while flying?

Reaction score
I'll say people come over to talk to me about the drone at least 80% of the time while I'm flying. Sometimes it's before I take off or after I land. I generally don't mind sharing what I do with others. I'll show them the screen, answer questions and explain different things it can do. And then there are times when I just rather concentrate on what I'm doing and stay in my own world. I try to keep a low profile but I think people know what's going on when they see a person standing somewhere looking at an iPad while working a controller.

Try flying with a safety vest and hard hat. People will think you are official and shouldn't be disturbed. Works for me, although usually I try to stay away from people in the first place.

If you are in a public place, people will definitely watch you and some may ask questions if you make eye contacts. You can't stop the curiosity of people.

I usually go to remote areas or flying clubs and have fun alone.

Yeh i notice it all the time, mainly for good reasons though. I have had father and son come over to me because they are intrigued and want to see it up close. Had people come over and say nice flying or i want one, or even had someone who has had one before and just come to say hello.

I feel awkward though if there are quite a few people around incase they complain so i try stay away from them or wait till its quite.

Reactions: UpLift Aerial
When i started 3 yrs ago I would happily answer questions but now i do my best to stay focused on the job, the high vis does the job.

I have a hi-vis safety vest with the letters "sUAS Operator" on the back. Only the very curious venture a question or two while I'm spinnin' the props.

I find the same, but I don't wear any regalia.

I try to be as helpful as possible. If it's an awkward time to talk, I ask them to wait a minute. Last week, one of my neighbors asked if he could try my P3S. We live in a quiet suburban housing development and most of the neighbors have seen and/or tried my drone. From his driveway, I launched it and took it to about 125 ft (or 38 if you speak Brexit) and let him fly it. He went up and down the street, going over people's front yards a tony bit. He got it back to his driveway and we saw the police parked at the end of the street. Watching us. I took the controls and took some pictures of the neighbors waving from their driveway. The police drove down to us, but didn't stop.

We think someone called the police and they came down to make sure we were not doing anything dumb. I'm pretty sure the local police have had drone training and are cool if you are cool. The local sheriff's station has a couple of Inspire drones equipped with infra-red cameras and the ability to drop ropes to stranded hikes. To them, it's just another tool.

I've had a couple of neighbors ask if "Big Brother" was watching them. I tell them that Big Brother doesn't have that good a lens and then often to show them the live feed.

I don't mind talking to people, obviously not while practicing maneuvers. Avoiding places with people around is always a good rule. I hiked up to a stunning spot, Seneca Rocks in West Virginia, with my drone. Found a tiny level area to launch from among the rocks. Shortly after I launched, this family comes up and sits all around me, about as close as 3 people on a love seat. Uncomfortable enough given we're sitting on pointy rocks, even more so cause I'm attempting complicated camera and flight moves around a jagged cliff face with a long drop to the bottom. But, the mountain is there for everyone to enjoy, so I just made sure they moved away when I had to catch it. These are just still images from the video clips, so the quality isn't very good. I got up there late, just in time for the sunset over the opposing ridge, and I really wanted the video clips.
37581613171_c1f6eeb66d_h.jpg
37581611641_2c7e2efa8f_h.jpg
37581612591_9c0e9176e4_h.jpg
37581612401_20513d5896_h.jpg

Reactions: loonie01

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers