How Much Additional Weight Will the Gimbal Tolerate?

adanac said:
I want to make a small hood out of 3M tape and some Cinefoil, which weigh less than a penny. I imagine this wouldn't cause any problems for the gimbal?

It shouldn't, but it might.
Honestly, probably not worth it unless it's, as you said, feather-weight.

In what way would you say it's not worth it? I'm hoping it eliminates the occasional prop shadow (which ruined a terrific shot recently).

nintendrone64 said:
adanac said:
I want to make a small hood out of 3M tape and some Cinefoil, which weigh less than a penny. I imagine this wouldn't cause any problems for the gimbal?

It shouldn't, but it might.
Honestly, probably not worth it unless it's, as you said, feather-weight.

adanac said:

If it is light enough to where the gimbal does not fall forward when the gimbal is off (ie. balanced), you should be fine. I have noticed on my H3-3D with a Polar Pro ND filter (about .8 grams) the gimbal is out of balance when off, but with it on the gimbal never goes limp and does not effect it at all. I still balanced the gimbal though to keep the motors happy in the long run.

I'll try it this weekend. It's hard to imagine it would make a difference.

To change the subject slightly, is the Polar Pro not quite close to the left landing gear?

shartlza said:
adanac said:

If it is light enough to where the gimbal does not fall forward when the gimbal is off (ie. balanced), you should be fine. I have noticed on my H3-3D with a Polar Pro ND filter (about .8 grams) the gimbal is out of balance when off, but with it on the gimbal never goes limp and does not effect it at all. I still balanced the gimbal though to keep the motors happy in the long run.

shartlza said:
adanac said:

My gimbal falls forward when turned off w/o a ND filter, but I desperately need a filter soon. How exactly are you balancing the gimbal?

The Polar Pro filter is close to the left landing gear, but in no way does it hit. On the 2.0 version there is a eye loop on the side, so you have to make sure that is not on the left side.

I am balancing the gimbal by tapping half a paper clip on the pitch motor with weight at the end. I can take a picture later this evening and post it.

Here is a picture of how i balanced the gimbal with the polar pro filter. And yes the P2 is off and it is balance in any position i put the gimbal in.

Attachments

• Filter.jpg
    Filter.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 492

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj