How many using naza m?

I started out with NAZAM. Before i flew my brand new $500 machine, I wanted to know all I could. I had also read about fly aways and wanted to make sure that didn't happen. I was given my Phantom for Christmas while away in Virginia. Meanwhile, back in Houston, my brother-in-law got a Phantom for Christmas. He and his daughter took it out and flew it that day and it went bug **** and flew away. Pretty expensive two hour toy. My fears were increased. So I did a lot of reading when I got home and I was following a "set up" on the Phantom Forum. It said to install the latest NAZA-M V2 Software and hook up your Phantom. Then it walked through the different settings. It was well written, not in the translated Chinese English that the manual was written in.

I have only flown my Phantom a couple of times outdoors. On my first flight I panicked and switched to Failsafe and it came home and landed within 2 feet of the take off position, just like advertised. I am waiting for my GPS tracker to arrive before I try anything real crazy. Call me scared or cautious, either way I don't intend to lose it.

aartsf said:
As Fplvert indicated, s1 position 3 can be programmed as failsave mode instead of manual mode under the Naza mode.

Is 'manual' different than my $50 quad w/o gps? ie., does manual still hve the '6axis gyros' or not?

yorlik said:
aartsf said:
As Fplvert indicated, s1 position 3 can be programmed as failsave mode instead of manual mode under the Naza mode.

Is 'manual' different than my $50 quad w/o gps? ie., does manual still hve the '6axis gyros' or not?

Can't compare to your small quad but...

manual mode does not use any on-board sensors for stabilization. None.

If you've ever flown a CP-heli it's similar... but different :lol:

yorlik said:
aartsf said:

Not sure how your quad works, but I fly manual mode all the time, but I don't reccomend it to anyone really unless you really know what you're doing. Picture atti mode, but instead of holding the stick forward to go forward, it just keeps tilting forward until you let off. Once you do let off, it'll stay in that possition until you bring the stick back until it's level again. when you turn, it'll usually drift so you have to give it the correct stick input to keep it centered. Also wind gusts can move it around as well, so you have to constantly correct for that too, because it doesn't correct for you. Also did I mention that it's also twice as fast in manual mode? Yep, definitely not for begginers or even most intermediate pilots. However, if you can fly collective pitch helicopters, you probably won't have too big of an issue with it. It's a whole new flying style really.

I find that Naza mode is actually the safest mode to use. I love the home lock and course lock along with failsafe. It is much safer to fly in Naza mode. The only reason there are so many warnings about Naza mode is because they assume people arent smart enough to make sure both S switches are in the up position before flying.

so sounds like manual mode is about the same as the cheap $50 drones with 6 gyros - they just keep front/back orientation from changing & keep it horizontal with center joystick. seems everyone should buy 1 then and practice with it before going the expensive dji route.... it sure helped me fly sorta stable in wind gusts and such. glad now I got it and crashed it a lot first....

yorlik said:
so sounds like manual mode is about the same as the cheap $50 drones with 6 gyros - they just keep front/back orientation from changing & keep it horizontal with center joystick. seems everyone should buy 1 then and practice with it before going the expensive dji route.... it sure helped me fly sorta stable in wind gusts and such. glad now I got it and crashed it a lot first....

What kinda quad do you have by the way? If you don't mind telling.

yorlik said:
Thats exactly what I did. I would say this should be a must for anyone considering making an investment on a Phantom or any quad at its price point or higher.
I bought a Syma and a Hubsan X4. The Syma was pretty good and gave me a feel for the controls on something similar in size to the Phantom. It was pretty tough too. Then I got the Hubsan. At first I thought it was going to be an indoor play toy because it was so small. Boy was I wrong! It is small but heavy enough and powerful enough to be flown even in moderate wind, even more so than the Syma. It is very very responsive which is really good training because the Phantom is way more responsive than the Syma and can get away from you quick. I beat this little Hubsan to hell. I have dropped it from 75 plus feet onto the concrete twice, hit a trash dumpster and a car at full speed, hit many many trees and even submerged it. It had rained and I cIrashed the thing in the ditch in about a foot of water. It was completely submerged and about 50 yards away. I ran toward it expecting to see the LEDs go out any second but they didnt. I took it out of the ditch, shook it off and threw it into the air. It flew like the day I unboxed it. I didnt even dry it out. Still flys great.
If you have any sense at all you will get a cheaper one to learn on. It could very well save you a grand one day.

+1 The Hubsan is a great little learner.

I did mine in reverse. I started off with the Vision and ended up with the Hubsan :)

I used Naza M from flight 2 onwards. I think it actually aids a beginner. All the switches 'up' is the same mode as non naza anyway. If you can't control the switches you've got to be a bit of a numpty and perhaps shouldn't be flying this kit anyway.

kitari said:
yorlik said:

What kinda quad do you have by the way? If you don't mind telling.

Udi 818a. Just changed to Naza and first flight test; atti is just like my $50 one; I will not be trying 'manual' anytime soon.

So my first Naza flight test in the open farm field went well. Showed me how I can run in "open loop" mode - atti - just like my Udi 818a cheap one. Also showed me that S2 did nothing and S1 failsafe did something really really bad.....

So I come back and find S2 didn't work because I finally see a SMALL little click box at top left of IOC page to activate it.... So now I need to try again next trip across the street (I live in log cabin in middle of 120' tall woods with 30x30' max clearing to sky - no way I am taking off here until I am better flyer!). Probably fixes that switch.

But what gives with S1 RTH (failsafe) mode?? I can watch nice green GPS lock lights in up position, I can watch nice yellow lites in mid position, but going to down position STAYS YELLOW, the drone begins coming in ALMOST home direction and continues flying off into the wild blue yonder! Luckily I could switch back to mid or up and bring it back....

Almost like in this new naza mode one has to TELL it implicitly the HOME position? If so, how do you do that? It sure had no clue where home was, and also dropped out of GPS mode when I flipped from up to down.

With this response I am scared to try to cut controller power and see if RTH works.... My first 200' hi flight (flight #2) across the field got away from me; I could not see it, I could not distinguish direction on mobile phone image, so flew it OUT further beyond trees in the woods... pretty soon video stopped. I drove around frantically trying to get video back. Finally drove far enough way I THINK I lost controller connection... as I was giving up and returning, video lit up and said "go home!" I raced back toward home position and as I approach I see it coming in from a direction I had no clue it had gone. Little guy landed nice and sweet like it had done nothing wrong right where it took off to begin with. I refrained from calling 911 at that point as my heart began to slow down.....

HELP!

PS: Yes, in assistant it shows S1 working properly and going to each position, and down IS set to failsafe.

Just switched to Naza mode this morning and went out for a test flight. Tested RTH 3 times and it worked flawlessly as well as my course lock and home lock. I am happy I made the switch to Naza mode and I now see why so many people use it. I screwed up the calibration with my camera as it would not move up or down, but after googling the problem everything is back to normal with my camera. Heading out now to get some more shots on the beach.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31