How many Ground Control Points do I need? I tried a number of different GCP configurations to see.

Reaction score
For those of you performing design level surveys, you may be interested in this assessment I put together for a 34-acre quarry site. I was surprised by how few GCPs were needed to get reasonably accurate results for the site and how more wasn't always better. Link to imgur album.

Awesome! Thanks for reporting your findings. I have also wondered where the point of diminishing returns is with GCP's. We want to provide accurate mapping as efficiently as possible. And establishing the ground control takes up a big chunk of the field time.

establishing the ground control takes up a big chunk of the field time
It sure does! I'll have to try this out on a few additional projects and see if the GCP cutoff is about the same. I was actually surprised by how few were needed to achieve reasonable results.

For those of you performing design level surveys, you may be interested in this assessment I put together for a 34-acre quarry site. I was surprised by how few GCPs were needed to get reasonably accurate results for the site and how more wasn't always better. Link to imgur album.

What mapping program are you using? I am trying to find one that is pay as you go and has support.

We use Pix4D and Photoscan, depending on the project. Unfortunately, I don't believe that either one offers pay as you go pricing.

That is the problem. The monthly fees are so high for someone starting out trying to build a business. Map Pilot is pay as you go but it is a very difficult program with no user instructions and no support at all.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj