How low do you let battery get before landing ??

Reaction score
How low do most of you let your battery get before landing?

I typically wait until the alarm sounds at 30% and then I tend to stay very close to my landing zone. At about 20% I tend to land it.

Thoughts?

At what percentage does it automatically land?

Excactly the same... About 20% I
Prepare to land and arrive at about 17% battery is slightly warm...

Does anyone know what percentage it will "return to home" and land on its own ?

Also, if you land and let the propellers spin to try and deplete more battery... will it then take off and "return to home" if it hits the percentage that normally triggers this in the air?

thx.

I just brought mine down to 7% hovering a couple of feet above the landing spot with no problem. I landed at 7% because I didn't want it to just drop if it totally died. It didn't initiate RTH, probably because it never lost connection with transmitter.

At 17% i didn't have the power to hover. I idled to fully drain the power, and it cut off about 2 minutes afterward at 7%

How exactly do you initiate RTH?

On the default firmware, '2nd level warning' (auto land, hold throttle up to hover) is set to 20%. On the new v1.05 firmware, this changes to 15%.

LeoS said:
On the default firmware, '2nd level warning' (auto land, hold throttle up to hover) is set to 20%. On the new v1.05 firmware, this changes to 15%.

Thanks. Do you mean "auto land" or "return to home and land" ? Would it just land wherever it is at 15% or will it fly to the home point first?

thanks.

race3 said:
LeoS said:

Thanks. Do you mean "auto land" or "return to home and land" ? Would it just land wherever it is at 15% or will it fly to the home point first?

thanks.

Initiates slow descent to land wherever it is - at 15% it assumes not enough power left to RTH so it's down to you to manage distance at lower battery levels.

race3 said:
LeoS said:

thanks.

If it's connected to the transmitter, it just drops down. I'm not sure what would happen if it's not connected to the transmitter at that level.

I'm kind of annoyed that it auto lands at 15% when Colin Guinn's video that showed the P2V doing 25 minutes was pushed until the battery was down to 3%.

Maybe they're putting in huge safety bumper for the first few months to see how P2V perform in the wild under different conditions world while before they will let us lower the limit in future firmwares. They've already changed it from 20% down to 15% on the last firmware update.

I suspect for the video they disabled all battery warnings - they would have access to developer versions of the Assistant software that can probably adjust everything for testing purposes. Don't forget flying that lipo all the way to 3% will probably have killed it. Ok for a demonstration but rather expensive for us mere mortals given the retail price of a new battery pack.

Pull_Up said:
I suspect for the video they disabled all battery warnings - they would have access to developer versions of the Assistant software that can probably adjust everything for testing purposes. Don't forget flying that lipo all the way to 3% will probably have killed it. Ok for a demonstration but rather expensive for us mere mortals given the retail price of a new battery pack.

I don't think it is bad for the battery. In fact they recommend taking it to at least 8% every now and then by letting rotors spin on the ground.

Pull_Up said:

Yeah definitely.

Does anyone know how it compares with the original Phantom? I don't know if it has telemetry or battery % indicator, but what would be the equivalent cut off be for them?

race3 said:
Pull_Up said:

I don't think it is bad for the battery. In fact they recommend taking it to at least 8% every now and then by letting rotors spin on the ground.

Motors idling on the ground are not going to be making anywhere near as big a demand on the battery as maintaining a GPS locked hover.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20