How long till the hysteria is over..?

Reaction score
11233169_979485425435843_2734144908304210329_o.jpg

Waiting to have fun in peace

Reactions: ELHEAPO
Now aint that the truth brother! Too bad we didn't have this technology back when I grew up - when people were much more accepting of change and "political correctness" was merely some politician who had poor manners. When flying cars are zooming around people will be remembering and saying "geez I wish it was back when drones were flying - I felt so much safer then."

All we can do is - be sure we don't "fuel the fire" so to speak with careless and disrespectful flying of our Phantoms etc!

View attachment 41701
Waiting to have fun in peace

Crap... if we have to wait essentially the same time it has taken for people to calm down about search engines... we're talking a decade or more. However, I think the chart is a bit off, because it assumes there is an equal amount of time for people to "move on" over technology - when I think that the time from introduction to calming down is actually getting shorter because people are getting more used to disruptive technologies. I would say that the point of drones getting from panic starting to the height of panic will be much faster than that same period for RFID chips (as an example).

True dat. I question this every day. People use to be up in arms about cell phone cameras. Now no one thinks anything about them. Now almost anyone has the ability to document events as they happen.

As I see it there are two parties to blame. The media reports news that captures people's attention. So they report all the bad things about drones. They don't report about the search/rescues done with drones (and the evolving FLIR abilities), saving in monitoring crops, fire rescue, etc. I then also blame the FAA. They were charged with creating regulations by 9/2015 but failed to do this. Instead they have put out propaganda and lies against drones. They have also left the door open for people making illegal laws against drones.

The registration probably helps a little but I think the real change will happen when the FAA creates it's regulations. I've give it 6 months past that date before we don't look like we beat babies.

Rc flyers have been around for years, theres nothing that drones can "maliciously" do that other rc flyers cant, only difrence is drones fly diffrently.
So why commotion all of a sudden.. Quite irritating

Rc flyers have been around for years, theres nothing that drones can "maliciously" do that other rc flyers cant, only difrence is drones fly diffrently.
So why commotion all of a sudden.. Quite irritating

Is it the fact that Drones are connected to camera's? Camera's is connected to spying/privacy concerns? I mean what if drones didn't have the capability to shoot footage, would they still be in the spotlight.

Is it the fact that Drones are connected to camera's? Camera's is connected to spying/privacy concerns? I mean what if drones didn't have the capability to shoot footage, would they still be in the spotlight.

I don't think they would be as popular if they didn't have cameras on board.... so no... I think the hysteria wouldn't be as big because A) there would be less drones and B) privacy wouldn't be a concern.

Reactions: N017RW
But still many rc flyers have camera. And belive me jist because They may not hover still dont mean they cant get exellent footage. Still asking my self why bully on the quadcopters.
Maybe its just the fact that some ome started callimg them Drones and people got all paniky, why not Uas, or rc flyer, or simply quadcopter

I think each of the above factors play a role in the hysteria. Cameras on RC planes were not common, and those who did fly with cameras or used FPV were mostly flying at RC fields or in rural areas. People were not flying in fixed wing "cameras" in urban areas, over crowds, festivals, landmarks, etc., and the quality of the footage isn't really comparable to what a drone can capture hovering or flying in close. And people couldn't just fly an RC plane out of the box - it took a lot of skill to learn to fly, and even more skill to fly FPV.
Quadcopters are essentially flying cameras that anyone can fly right out of the box with no previous experience. Factor in privacy concerns with safety concerns, the sinister associations of the word "drone," and the media's hype and you have the unfair public opinions we all battle today.

Have any of you died down on flying because of this hysteria or are considering just getting out of the hobby altogether to try something else?

Have any of you died down on flying because of this hysteria or are considering just getting out of the hobby altogether to try something else?
Nope. Still fly as much as before, but I am more cautious of who is around and who may be watching.

'Get out of' r/c aviation? Not sure I could until physically unable.

Nope. Still fly as much as before, but I am more cautious of who is around and who may be watching.

Yeah this is how I am now to.

Not completly but yea a bit. Its funny how instead of picturing an amazing shot, i get paranoid if theres gana be someone offended around

Not completly but yea a bit. Its funny how instead of picturing an amazing shot, i get paranoid if theres gana be someone offended around

Exactly how I feel. The last time I was out flying I kept looking around to see if anyone was watching, but then I purposely went to a wide open field to be sure no one was around.

Quadcopters are essentially flying cameras that anyone can fly right out of the box with no previous experience.
My thoughts exactly. Ease of us+widespread availability is a catalyst for fear of quads.

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

And that isn't such a bad thing. A little reflection on 'should I do this?' is rarely harmful.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj