• This is my 1st week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2-6 months

• 7-12 months

• Total voters
Reaction score
What's your RC flight history? Not just with DJI, but RC planes, other quads, etc.

Hand launch and hope gliders when I was about ten, and just about every thing else since. I am now 63 and still loving it.

Started Control LIne with my older brothers back in early 60's ... then when they left me behind - I had to find another way and RC was the answer ... but it was early days of reliable gear and was not till about 1970 that reliable gear got in my hands ! Till then I spent more time on the ground trying to get Radio to work !!
Flew with Futaba mainly but then paid out a Kings Ransom for a JR Propo which took me through Scale, Aerobatic, all sorts of competitions ... It flew Heli's, Slopers, Thermal, Power ... you name it ... it flew it !! I did at one time fly unofficially for JR via McGregor Radio UK ...

Today I still have my old radios ... sit on the bench now as Ornaments reminding of those days ... but of course now I use digital 2.4Ghz gear that just blows the mind !

Today I fly just about anything .... from tiny palm sized quads up to moderately large gasoline powered stuff ...

Check out my Youtube Channel : solentlifeuk

Float planes .. quads ... 3D .... aerobatics .. scale ... its all there ... even some old 1980's cines of Shows and Events I was in ...

Nigel

Started back in the 70's, initially with friends wire controlled gasoline powered planes. Then onto remote controlled, battery powered gliders and boats. Not much since the mid-80's until the late 00's. Then started again with battery powered 'copters.

Started with control line in the mid 70's. Then got into free flight in the early 80's. Moved to RC about the mid 80's. Flew here and there until about 2006. Have had a couple toys since 2006 but nothing substantial. Have been looking at these birds in the last year or two but didn't know they were so easy to fly. The price was keeping me at bay not knowing I could fly one. I had flown helo's thinking that if a one bladed bird is that touchy to fly a four bladed bird would be out of my league.

^^^ a lot easier now then they used to be! More complicated, but easier.

Well not to be argumentative but MRs are less complicated mechanically/physically than CP-helis but rely on electronics, software, and computers skills for setup and updating.
As far as flying... well they fly themselves. All the operator does is direct them.

Reactions: BigAl07 and 120CCPM
The Multi Rotor side of the hobby has given us so much development that crossed over into all other forms. But it also has brought the RC Flying world into conflict.

Before the advent of reliable and cheap integrated 'multi-rotor' craft - the RC world had a relatively free quiet time. We would fly in suitable areas and anyone daft enough to fly in unsuitable location was usually moved on. Odd parks and sites put up No RC Flying signs ... but generally it was amenable and we all lived together well.
Come the Supermarket 'Multi-Rotor' and especially the Smart Phone controlled jobs ... The apparent ease of 'out of box - charge - fly' where you want hit home. Debates not only in USA ... but m,any countries as to how to control this new phenomena ? Those buyers in Supermarkets didn't care - they had their hands on a 'drone' and they were going to fly it !!

Sorry if my post crosses the line of the threads intent ... but it is a passionate subject for me particularly that I am involved in Guideline construction where I live.

For approx. 40yrs ... for me - rules and regs were understandable, fair and expected. Nothing was seemingly out of place with the hobby I chose. But over last 10 years or so - it seems that more restrictions are coming in and 'Drones' are a major factor in this.

Where will it all lead ? Will there ever be an answer to the 'Supermarket' problem ?

Nigel

Reactions: BigAl07
At School at Great Lakes NAS...1971.. Bought My 1st RC Equip... KRAFT 3 channel Escapement... all Control surfaces would Flap.... Back and Forth, around Center... When Input was Put in... Control Surface would Flap from Center to Full throw to the Turning side...
Flapping was so fast... the plane didn't Flutter, back and Forth.... Next was Linear Control.... Heath-kits, and Futaba..

Reactions: BigAl07
Around 1974, so a few decades. Started with single channel KRAFT (rudder only and it was not proportional) then into control line, free flight and on. I flew planks till mid 80's when the Shuttle helicopter came out. Now THAT was a work of art to fly LOL! I spent a lot more time tweaking and working on it than I did flying (by flying I mean trying to hover it LOL).

Then as Nigel put (very well so) automation was introduced and here we are... anyone with a credit card is now an R/C operator without having to learn any skills or any regulations. Charge it (credit card), charge the batteries, and hit the GO button. The rest is too complicated to learn which is why we are in this mess we are in.

Reactions: mrmom852

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan