How is it that the drone signals can go for miles while my wifi cant even get to my next room?

What kind of technology is the phantom controller using that allows it to go for miles? I've even had it worked behind obstruction (I know I'm not supposed to) say behind trees, or even sometimes buildings.

Meanwhile, my wifi gets weak and sometimes unusable two rooms down the hall?
...N, more nfo on the phantom ctrl & RF energy can be found on my website, Equip-Page, Phantom-Tab...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

I would say a big difference between your WIFI router and the controller using Lightbridge would be output wattage.

For those not in the know, the Mavic's "Occusync" system is even better. That thing gets crazy range.

Google wifibroadcast. Wifi broadcast is part of the wifi feature set. Packets are constantky transmitted without any need for ack and will be processed as bast as possible even if data is corrupt/missing. You can get 2km+!video transmission over standard wifi with the same or less latency as lightbridge. That’s probably what DJI calls lightbridge. DJI runs DD-WRT on the standard so no reason to think they wouldn’t build on an existing off the shelf protocol rather than starting from scratch.
He is right.

The magic in short is if you don't care for every bit and byte of the reception, you will get longer range. That's why it's called light bridge, not a strongly authenticated bridge.

Reactions: station five
What kind of technology is the phantom controller using that allows it to go for miles? I've even had it worked behind obstruction (I know I'm not supposed to) say behind trees, or even sometimes buildings.

Meanwhile, my wifi gets weak and sometimes unusable two rooms down the hall?

OK in simple terms that I understand, your home wifi is just a single access point that sends & receives to a wide variety of devices, channels and brands of equipment, so it very flexible which in turn reduces it effective distance, while your UAV has a point to point system where at both ends the devices are working together to create a stable connection & because it is a specific connection to only those devices the hardware & code is specifically made to maximise signal strength & stability.

One factor complicating range is what is commonly called the "signal to noise ratio." This basically means; can I hear the signal I want over the background noise? The specific frequency on which the controller operates does not have any other signals on the same unique frequency nor is there much local interference occurring within this particular range of frequencies. Conversely, WIFI channels have many other signals competing for recognition both on the same frequency and also very close nearby. What distinguished them all is a particular digital "signature." However, having so many other signals on the same WIFI channel can limit the ability to pick out one specific digital signature. Our drone doesn't have to compete as much. This is only one theory as to why our range extends past the conventional home WIFI.

One factor complicating range is what is commonly called the "signal to noise ratio." This basically means; can I hear the signal I want over the background noise? The specific frequency on which the controller operates does not have any other signals on the same unique frequency nor is there much local interference occurring within this particular range of frequencies. Conversely, WIFI channels have many other signals competing for recognition both on the same frequency and also very close nearby. What distinguished them all is a particular digital "signature." However, having so many other signals on the same WIFI channel can limit the ability to pick out one specific digital signature. Our drone doesn't have to compete as much. This is only one theory as to why our range extends past the conventional home WIFI.
Your comments with respect to S/N ratio are valid hiwever the phantoms don’t benefit from your suggested frequency uniqueness, they aren’t using unique frequencies, this is particularity true for lightbridge operation which uses channels within and shared by current wifi allocation.

...Also, WiFi works on a "positive acknowledgment" protocol where every packet sent to a client device has to have verification sent back to the router, whereas Lightbridge likely doesnt need this protocol? ...

Quoting above for emphasis. This is my understanding as well. And it seems to me this is the main reason lightbridge works so well relative to standard wifi. Lightbridge only has to travel from point A to point B one time. Standard wifi has to travel back and forth THREE times. That's also why the P2V series and the P3S will lose the FPV signal first, even using the naturally-superior-for-distance 2.4 ghz band before they lose the one-way basic control signal at the inferior-for-distance 5.8 ghz. Flying with wifi is like walking with a limp. No matter what you do, no matter what antenna you use or what amp you add, the limp will always be there.

And I like WTB's idea of the word lightbridge. I've always thought of it as light beam, but light as in not heavy or not strong makes more sense. It's a light bridge network, capable of an error but able to travel a greater distance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20