How important is cellular network for drones?

Reaction score
In a nut shell, I'm after an iPad. It's quite a bit cheaper to get a WiFi only model. I can get a 16gb wifi + 4G for the same price as a 32gb WiFi only

I currently use my iPhone 6S but its killing my battery. Thoughts please?

The only thing you would need cellular for is for live maps. You can cache those via wi-fi before you go fly. Not a big deal.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
Thee home point will update with cached maps.....Follow me may be a different issue as I do not use it, but see no reason why it would not work.

Hello, apparently I can’t update the “home point” and use the “follow me” feature. Is that true?
This has nothing to do with the cellular network.
The issue is that Apple only put a GPS receiver in their cellular-capable iPads.
There are only two features that you would miss out on and neither is used much anyway.
1. Follow-me flight - because the Phantom has to know the location of the thing it's following.
But if you wanted to do this, you could use active tracking anyway.
It uses optical tracking technology instead of GPS.
2. Reset home point to the current location of the controller - only used if you were flying from a moving car or boat etc.
But you'd still be able to reset home to the current location of the Phantom which would probably be just as useful if you were flying from a boat or car.

I thought as much. I’m ordering the 32gb then as I don’t use the follow me mode either. I’m sure the extra storage will come in use

Thanks for clearing that up

As folk have already said you only need a connection to the internet for the maps but when I used my WiFi only iPad I simply tether it to my phone so it HAS a connection.

As for your home point, we’ll unless you are walking round while flying or are on a boat then the phantom will log it’s position with its own GPS [emoji6]

Reactions: Mr Wings

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic