How I mounted my FC40 camera to an ebay gimbal

Reaction score
This drove me nuts for 2 days.
Velcro, 2-sided tape, GoPro strap, jerky, bouncy, humming, vibration, etc.

Finally got it (at least for my gimbal)
There is a mounting channel on top of the camera with a little locking spring in there:
gimbaladapt-s4_zpsd7d2d759.jpg

Got a few 6-32 x 3/4" machine screws (to fit in the channel) and mating wing nuts at the hardware store:
gimbaladapt-s3_zpsfab1ac03.jpg

Drilled a hole in my gimbal horizontal arm ---
1) so the camera would sit flat against the arm, and not in that wide arm cutout
2) I wouldn't have to mess with a washer
3) so I could move it off-center enough to balance it (it was a guesstimate)
gimbaladapt-s5_zps9eeabf5d.jpg

Then I set the gimbal up so horizontal arm centered on top so the camera hangs down and pics/videos were not upside down:
gimbaladapt-s1_zps7155f607.jpg

To get the pitch arm (horizontal) on top, I just moved the sensing board to opposite side of the platform.

This holds very solid and I don't have to worry about velcro or tape shaking loose and adios camera ....

$.23 total cost

Also can dial it in with the NAZA software and a tilt arm I got on ebay that installs to a potentiometer hole in the back of the controller.

Reactions: Lasernerd
looks great,

but i think u need to move the cam lil to the right to get the best roll effect .. try to have the lens aligned with both motors .. u'll be much happier with the result ..take alook at the attached pic .

Attachments

• gimbaladapt-s1_zps7155f607.jpg
    gimbaladapt-s1_zps7155f607.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,300
Reactions: Lasernerd
Thanks, I see what you're saying.

My bastard gimbal came with the sensing board on the top side of the platform, next to the servo. Every other pic of these cheapies showed the board on the underside. So I was a bit confounded when mine showed up. When I stuck it underneath, the platform went to the 12 o'clock position, instead of 6 o'clock. When I tried to tweak the center point in the software, it would buzz and hum, I guess it was near its threshold. Part of my torment, thinking I had to mount the board and camera on the same side.

That started my quest for a fix.

Since this thing was designed around a GoPro where the weight is better balanced across the platform --
GoPro1_zps1d6525fd.jpg

I read where some guys, somewhere, said move it away some so the platform is better balanced. That's what I did and drilled the hole.
The channels where the strap goes through is too narrow for my 6-32 screw.

and given my flying and photography skills, I probably won't know the difference.

But I'll drill another hole if I get better. Thanks for your input.

I have made this simple aluminium mount for the FC40, I haven't tried it yet, just hope it handles ok without any balance problems. I have added a lead strip in the fitting and now have a weight of 69 grams as opposed to the 74 grams of a gopro.
gimbal1.jpg
gimbal2.jpg

Reactions: tellyons
That bracket is a brilliant idea how did u make it??

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj