How High??

Reaction score
How High have you taken your P2V+??

Those have gone over 500' I assume your relying on the FPV?

Thanks

Big Chips said:
1340ft yesterday....could even see the thing...but could just hear it... calm day and zero wind
And you still have connection to fly fpv? I lost my Phantom v1 in the clouds once, I could hear it but couldn't see it -- with no fpv, I was terrified.

I got to 1440 and then I lost connection and return home started. I didn't read the manual and sat there freaking out that I couldn't regain control and it ended up about 10 feet from where I launched and I had to watch it slowly land into a tree and hook itself onto a branch 30 feet up. Took me all afternoon to get it down. Luckily nothing but a prop was damaged.

I should have read the manual. :roll:

yes fpv was fine....

i must live in a approach area for aircraft so I got to be very careful...i never knew the planes were overhead till i was flying my bird.

It scares the crap out of me when I hear about people flying them ridiculously high. It would be bad news for the hobby if someone took out an aircraft because of it. I am fairly sure there would be an instant overnight ban if it happened.

Please, be super **** careful when you go above a few hundred feed :D

I wanna take it up to 2,000' and then shut off the motors, let it free fall, then turn them back on! :) Should be an interesting video. I just worry that the props might spin backward and come off!

Scottrod said:
I wanna take it up to 2,000' and then shut off the motors, let it free fall, then turn them back on! :) Should be an interesting video. I just worry that the props might spin backward and come off!

Be sure to share that video with us all!

When I first flew my Vision I got to 1350ft. At that point (overcast sky) if you take your eyes off it to look at the screen, you will not find it again visually. I had not labeled my sticks, and as you can imagine, I mixed them up and sent my bird further away. At this point I started to panic, there goes $1200. Fortunately I did read the manual. I said a prayer to the R/C gods and turned off the remote. After a long 2 minutes I could hear the whirl of my birds blades and looked up to see it coming home. After it landed I picked it up and hugged it :) . BTW, it was a great video!

I've been up to 1500 feet but not for very long.. I've hung around at 1000-1200 feet for 5-10 minutes.. and I do most of my range flights around 850 feet up.. it's VERY difficult to find the drone again in the sky if you take your eyes off it.. what is cool is that you can still hear it :).. you have to also adjust your antenna askew from vertical otherwise you'll trigger a RTH if it's pointing straight up while you fly straight up.. (that whole dipole donut radiation pattern)

Having someone else monitor your camera view is my best advice... oh research your area using a website like this:
http://skyvector.com/#50-24-2-2364-2616.. (my area)

Jayson Hanes said:
I've been up to 1500 feet but not for very long.. I've hung around at 1000-1200 feet for 5-10 minutes.. and I do most of my range flights around 850 feet up.. it's VERY difficult to find the drone again in the sky if you take your eyes off it.. what is cool is that you can still hear it :).. you have to also adjust your antenna askew from vertical otherwise you'll trigger a RTH if it's pointing straight up while you fly straight up.. (that whole dipole donut radiation pattern)

Having someone else monitor your camera view is my best advice... oh research your area using a website like this:
http://skyvector.com/#50-24-2-2364-2616.. (my area)

Thanks for the advice on the antenna! had no idea!

Dirty Bird said:
2660' - Still had control & video. (my vertical limit in NAZA is set for 2640) Before anyone tells me I'm gonna bring down an aircraft, it was 3 am. I am many miles from an airport and not on any flight path.

http://youtu.be/pcdl-fM1brE
For what it's worth, Pasadena MD appears to be either in the BWI Class B surface area or where the floor is 1500MSL, and two of the BWI runways are aligned in that direction. The ILS approach to runway 33R goes right over the top of Pasadena at 2000 MSL. And 5 miles isn't "many". And the freight guys fly at night. Just sayin'...

dkatz42 said:
For what it's worth, Pasadena MD appears to be either in the BWI Class B surface area or where the floor is 1500MSL, and two of the BWI runways are aligned in that direction. The ILS approach to runway 33R goes right over the top of Pasadena at 2000 MSL. And 5 miles isn't "many". And the freight guys fly at night. Just sayin'...

Pasadena is a large area. I live on the east end near Lake Shore/Gibson Island, approximately 8 air miles from BWI. Still, I hear what you're saying. Typically I fly under 400', but I just had to see what she could do. A similar curiosity struck me way back when I bought a 6.6 liter TransAm. ;)

You guys are all getting this high OEM/out of the box?

I have had mine lose connectivity at just under 500. I made 920 last night and lost it.

I thought something was wrong with it but my buddy Jeff flew his tonight and lost it under 500 feet as well.

Antenna on my TX is horizontal to the ground and aircraft is directly above.

Going to try moving the phone off to the site away from antenna to see if that helps.

jengo said:
It scares the crap out of me when I hear about people flying them ridiculously high. It would be bad news for the hobby if someone took out an aircraft because of it. I am fairly sure there would be an instant overnight ban if it happened.

Please, be super **** careful when you go above a few hundred feed :D
Just because it can reach those lofty heights doesn't mean you should preform such risky flights. My Corvette can go close to 200mph but you won't see me driving it that fast on the public streets because I know better. I save that for the track. Like you said, one full size aircraft accident and there will be an instant temporary ban. I have always said some people have more money than brains.

Dirty Bird said:
2660' - Still had control & video. (my vertical limit in NAZA is set for 2640) Before anyone tells me I'm gonna bring down an aircraft, it was 3 am. I am many miles from an airport and not on any flight path.

http://youtu.be/pcdl-fM1brE

So you live in Pasadena, MD (red dot) and you feel you are not near airports or on possible flight paths? It appears you are close to the Washington DC airport among others.

1z2mxqv.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik