How good is your RTH precision landing?

Reaction score
I did a test on my RTH, both from manual and auto take off. I used a 31” landing pad. Auto take off pretty much landed on the target. Manual take off RTH is not as precise as auto take off.

I always manually takeoff and manually land. The habitat would damage the drone if it landed even a wee bit off. We sometimes have trouble finding a small open and flat spot for takeoff/landing anyway. The nature on the nature reserve has priority.

I was told about a method, take off and rise 30 feet, with no movement, then fly. Doing this with the P4P it will land within 6" of the spot every time. I tested this several times in a row, always right on the money.
Doing this allows the P4P to take images of Home Point, with the radar, this will bring it down exactly, after the GPS gets it close. I think this occurs when the P4P is at 32 feet, then the precision landing takes over.

I always manually takeoff and manually land. The habitat would damage the drone if it landed even a wee bit off. We sometimes have trouble finding a small open and flat spot for takeoff/landing anyway. The nature on the nature reserve has priority.
You may want to hand launch and hand catch for landing. I have tried hand catch and it was easy. Hand launching I have not done since I need both hands to start motor.

I was told about a method, take off and rise 30 feet, with no movement, then fly. Doing this with the P4P it will land within 6" of the spot every time. I tested this several times in a row, always right on the money.
Doing this allows the P4P to take images of Home Point, with the radar, this will bring it down exactly, after the GPS gets it close. I think this occurs when the P4P is at 32 feet, then the precision landing takes over.
Looks like I will be testing RTH again.

I can land softly, either with or without DJI goggles, no problem. I also hand catch, if it is a better option at the time. But RTH, is for when things are not going well, I want it to be as accurate as possible.
I agree, aggressive launch, just only go up, no turns or forward motion, until you reach 30+ feet. Try it, you may be surprised.

I can land softly, either with or without DJI goggles, no problem. I also hand catch, if it is a better option at the time. But RTH, is for when things are not going well, I want it to be as accurate as possible.
I agree, aggressive launch, just only go up, no turns or forward motion, until you reach 30+ feet. Try it, you may be surprised.
I like manual take off and landing. I am testing to make sure everything is working. I am also practising hand catching just in case. I tried it a few times and it wasnt hard.

Mine is pretty good. I take off from an old oil patch on my driveway, and it lands right in it each time. I'm actually impressed.

Reactions: bad karma
You may want to hand launch and hand catch for landing. I have tried hand catch and it was easy. Hand launching I have not done since I need both hands to start motor.
Yes, I’ve hand caught (or hand grab, as I’ve called it) twice. Not without a few nervous seconds, I might add. Seeing Enrique Iglesias’ concert accident with a drone’s props hasn’t helped!

Did my first RTH test today from about 2000 feet away. I was impressed. Landed about 6" away from the take off point and this was after quite a bit of flying around.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik