How good is this set up

Reaction score
About to buy a P2 v3 with a long range FPV set for Gopro hero 3+ silver, and wondering if its the set up to go for, ie very good not to bothered about cheaper gear so to speak i just want to make sure its good equipment for the job. list is as followed

Balck pearl monitor with 1 clover leaf antenna and 1 omni directional antenna
flysight Black Mamba TX5820-V2 5.8G 2000mW FPV TX
DJI Mini iosd

Any help from anyone that is using this set up and distance they get would be great, cheers all.

You mean phantom 2 v2? Since only the vision has v3.

I am using immersion RC 600mw transmitter, black pearl monitor with one spironet antenna and one immersion patch antenna to aid the long range receiving. I am very happy with my setup, I flew 700m away from me and 150m vertically, still get very decent video feed. iOSD mini is a must have IMO.

Here is my flight from yesterday.

http://youtu.be/GgoQR6kTXMo

No the phantom 2 v3 its been out for about 6 months, yes there is a vision 2 plus v3 all so but its the phantom 2 v3 model im getting not the vision plus model.

Cool looking flight that, this is the sort of distance i am hoping for. I have seen a vid on you tube with someone getting a 1600mtr flight with a black pearl and black mamba but he does not state what antennas he is using, anywhere around the 700mtr to 1000mtr is way more than enough for me tho. Just want to get it right from the of thats all. Yea mini iosd is all ready on the cards i wouldnt get it without to be honest. cheers for the info

leekiya said:
No the phantom 2 v3 its been out for about 6 months, yes there is a vision 2 plus v3 all so but its the phantom 2 v3 model im getting not the vision plus model.

I have never heard of a V3 on the p2, what is it differs from V2?

leekiya said:

There is no non-vision Phantom 2 v3, but some retailers have labeled it as such.

The latest phantom 2 is the v2.0 with upgraded props, motors, and ESCs. It also has the newer transmitter with the tilt wheel vs the lever.

From everything I've read, the 2000mw is excessive.

New Phantom 2 V3 upgraded version. New upgraded transmitter/controller, motors and compass. Comes with FPV flying and Aerial Photography support right out of the box. Hardware mountings and software tuning are all carried out prior to delivery, meaning with rotors attached, a charged battery and transmitter batteries available it can fly immediately. Additional features include a higher payload, a built- in intelligent battery, H3-3D gimbal support and other functions.

Thats just copied and pasted of there website, dont know more than that to be honest just reading of there web site. In what way do you mean the 2000mw is excessive.

their website is mistaken. For the record we are talking about the NON-Vision series Phantom 2's here:
there are only 2 generations of (non-Vision) Phantom 2. The original (now referred to as v1.0 sometimes) which has the original RC model DJ6 with the gimbal control as a little "x1 lever" on the rear.
Just before christmas, DJI launched the "V2.0", which as Reoscorpio correctly stated has upgraded motors & ESCs on the Phantom (and indeed, an upgraded compass module) and comes bundled with the newer style transmitter model NDJ6 which has a built in lipo battery and the gimbal control is the silver scroll wheel in the upper left.

There is no "V3.0" in the NON-Vision series. There IS a v3.0 in the Vision series and that's where all this confusion comes from, vendors mislabeling products, etc.

so, moving on: 2000mW is massive overkill for a FPV transmitter on a P2 where we aren't looking at 5-10km distances. Many people fall into the trap of thinking higher wattage transmitter = longer FPV range when in reality your FPV performance is determined more by the type and quality of antennas you attach (both transmit and receive). Higher wattage transmitters just mean 2 things: more heat and more power drain from the battery (decreased flight time) and they simply aren't necessary with the types of distances Phantom2 pilots usually fly (2km or less).
A 1000 or 2000mW transmitter with crap antennas is going to go less distance than a 400mW transmitter with premium antennas.
Most folks around this forum have 400mW (TS353) or 600mW (IRC600) transmitters, and the ones running FPVLR antennas are consistently seeing 2km or better FPV range. I personally have been out over 1.8km (1 mile = ~1.6km) and my FPV was as solid as when it's right next to me.
To me, having a rock solid 2km FPV system is more than adequate, and I don't even usually fly those kind of distances, I'm usually going around 1km or so.
remember, technically in the US anything beyond unassisted (meaning natural eyes, no magnification) line of sight which is generally considered a couple hundred meters (when you can't really see the Phantom anymore) is not "legal" per se. Doesn't stop us, but it's something to keep in mind if you crash and damage something or hurt someone and they can determine (like from your gopro footage) that you were really far away, that opens you up to a reckless endangerment charge and/or FAA fine.

So hopefully you catch my point... sure a 1000 or 2000mW transmitter WILL work, it's just way more than is necessary on a Phantom 2. Even the guys setting distance records on Youtube (where they fly out and get back with 1% battery left) are only going a little over 4km and doing it with 400, 500 and 600mW FPV transmitters.
Save your money, save your battery, and btw there are no PnP cables for those 1000-2000mW transmitters ;) go for a TS353 or if you really don't trust it, the ImmersionRC 600mW and use the money you save for premium antennas... the FPVLR pentalobe on the transmitter, their 4.25 turn helix on the receiver (just get this bundle) and you're easily 2+km FPV range and theoretically more (3-4)

leekiya said:

this is a key statement here... omnidirectional antennas just don't do the kind of range the directionals do. I haven't seen anybody here with only cloverleaf, pinwheel, or any omni antenna on the receiver getting near 1km. My personal experience (in a zero-interference environment) with the FPVLR pentalobe on my TS353, when I run ONLY the pinwheel on the receiver, I get between 600 and 650m before the signal was gone and it was scratchy over 500. Using the helix (from the bundle)is night and day different, rock solid out to 1.8km no hint of interference or signal loss and remember that's in ideal conditions, clear day off the side of a mountain out in the country with no interference. the nearer you are to urban area with more interference the less performance you'll get. When I fly over NYC my RC signal actually cuts out before my FPV since there's more interference in the 2.4 ghz band (where RC control is) than 5.8 (FPV)

QYV said:
their website is mistaken. For the record we are talking about the NON-Vision series Phantom 2's here:
there are only 2 generations of (non-Vision) Phantom 2. The original (now referred to as v1.0 sometimes) which has the original RC model DJ6 with the gimbal control as a little "x1 lever" on the rear.
Just before christmas, DJI launched the "V2.0", which as Reoscorpio correctly stated has upgraded motors & ESCs on the Phantom (and indeed, an upgraded compass module) and comes bundled with the newer style transmitter model NDJ6 which has a built in lipo battery and the gimbal control is the silver scroll wheel in the upper left.

There is no "V3.0" in the NON-Vision series. There IS a v3.0 in the Vision series and that's where all this confusion comes from, vendors mislabeling products, etc.

so, moving on: 2000mW is massive overkill for a FPV transmitter on a P2 where we aren't looking at 5-10km distances. Many people fall into the trap of thinking higher wattage transmitter = longer FPV range when in reality your FPV performance is determined more by the type and quality of antennas you attach (both transmit and receive). Higher wattage transmitters just mean 2 things: more heat and more power drain from the battery (decreased flight time) and they simply aren't necessary with the types of distances Phantom2 pilots usually fly (2km or less).
A 1000 or 2000mW transmitter with crap antennas is going to go less distance than a 400mW transmitter with premium antennas.
Most folks around this forum have 400mW (TS353) or 600mW (IRC600) transmitters, and the ones running FPVLR antennas are consistently seeing 2km or better FPV range. I personally have been out over 1.8km (1 mile = ~1.6km) and my FPV was as solid as when it's right next to me.
To me, having a rock solid 2km FPV system is more than adequate, and I don't even usually fly those kind of distances, I'm usually going around 1km or so.
remember, technically in the US anything beyond unassisted (meaning natural eyes, no magnification) line of sight which is generally considered a couple hundred meters (when you can't really see the Phantom anymore) is not "legal" per se. Doesn't stop us, but it's something to keep in mind if you crash and damage something or hurt someone and they can determine (like from your gopro footage) that you were really far away, that opens you up to a reckless endangerment charge and/or FAA fine.

So hopefully you catch my point... sure a 1000 or 2000mW transmitter WILL work, it's just way more than is necessary on a Phantom 2. Even the guys setting distance records on Youtube (where they fly out and get back with 1% battery left) are only going a little over 4km and doing it with 400, 500 and 600mW FPV transmitters.
Save your money, save your battery, and btw there are no PnP cables for those 1000-2000mW transmitters ;) go for a TS353 or if you really don't trust it, the ImmersionRC 600mW and use the money you save for premium antennas... the FPVLR pentalobe on the transmitter, their 4.25 turn helix on the receiver (just get this bundle) and you're easily 2+km FPV range and theoretically more (3-4)

leekiya said:

this is a key statement here... omnidirectional antennas just don't do the kind of range the directionals do. I haven't seen anybody here with only cloverleaf, pinwheel, or any omni antenna on the receiver getting near 1km. My personal experience (in a zero-interference environment) with the FPVLR pentalobe on my TS353, when I run ONLY the pinwheel on the receiver, I get between 600 and 650m before the signal was gone and it was scratchy over 500. Using the helix (from the bundle)is night and day different, rock solid out to 1.8km no hint of interference or signal loss and remember that's in ideal conditions, clear day off the side of a mountain out in the country with no interference. the nearer you are to urban area with more interference the less performance you'll get. When I fly over NYC my RC signal actually cuts out before my FPV since there's more interference in the 2.4 ghz band (where RC control is) than 5.8 (FPV)

What he said...

:)

Thank you very much QYV for taking the time to help me with all this advise which has probably been the best advise given to me with any topic and will no doubt have saved me money. The bundle you suggest is something i will order for sure and i will just go for a 400mw or a 600mw. Many many thanks again cheers lee

my pleasure mate. just pay close attention to antenna connector types! read the stickythread "antenna connector reference" it will help you a little, but for example if you go with a TS353 and the FPVLR bundle: the TS353 has a RP-SMA female connector so on the FPVLR site/bundle choose RP-SMA Male.
The ImmersionRC 600 transmitter is SMA-Male, so you'd want SMA-female.

don't forget the Plug and Play cable, they are different for Boscam (TS353) or IRC/Fatshark... hit up the "lowest prices on fpv components" sticky for links to those cables from DPCAV

feel free to ask questions! talk is cheap and some of these parts aren't :)

Fantastic i am with it all now. Last question sorry is with FPVLR Premium Combo the FPV will be good for 1.5km and more lets say, but the Transmitter i hold will need a antenna upgrade then i suspect, i know the phantom 2 has a range of about 1km so which antenna upgrade have you gone for or do they go further than they state as rule. many thanks again.

in a low interference environment, the RC range of a P2 is definitely more than 1km. Plenty of guys getting over 2km with only the stock RC, especially if you do one of those "mods" where you basically build a little cardboard backplate and cover it in foil to help focus the signal.... I know this isn't the exact same antenna but something like this. Honestly for most people this is totally sufficient to get 2+km RC range.

I personally was getting about 800m over downtown NYC the highest of high interference environments and wanted more range, so I did actually mod my controller to accept a better antenna and installed the FPVLR 2.4ghz half-sphere. This involves opening up the RC, and very carefully cleaning off the sealant gunk from the U.FL connector on the RC transmit board (it's very easy to damage the connector you must be VERY careful) and then replacing the cable with a U.FL to RP-SMA female cable and re-assembling the RC. now instead of the little white stick antenna, I have a RP-SMA female connector and I screw in the antenna.
I've now been over 1100m over the city and still have RC control, I'm not sure the limit.

but really if you're not doing urban flying, try with the stock RC/antenna and if yuo are losing RC control the cheapest thing you can do is rig a little foil dish or whatever and you should get plenty more range.

remember if you DO lose RC control the only thing that'll happen is the Phantom will kick into GoHome more and start flying back towards home point. within a few seconds of it flying back towards you, you should be able to toggle S1 (the right-hand switch) down and back up to resume control

Fantastic i will look into that should i have problems with range as i am out in the the country anyway with miles of open fields . You might be able to help me with one last thing which i have contacted FPVLR about but i think i have lost them a bit as to what i want. I have now passed my old phantom fc40 onto my son, which i have set up with a Hawking 2.4ghz wifi booster to boost the range from my phone to the camera which works great to be honest, but the wifi signal can be a little hit and miss. I am now experimenting with different 2.4ghz antennas i can find on ebay which are mainly just cheap omni and directional panel antennas to increase wifi signal. How ever i have noticed that FPVLR sell some 2.4ghz antennas and was wondering if a mix of 2 of them fitted to the wifi booster would increase the range some more but don't know if they would work and if it would be worth it. If they would work i know they will be the best for the job and the wifi would be as solid as it could be for this type of little set up,but i just don't know which mix of 2 would be best. many many thanks again with all your help. That the last question i promise. lol

I'm afraid I don't know nearly as much about FC40's and wifi extenders like, how to adapt them to use normal antennas. wifi just isn't meant to hit the kind of ranges we deal with, hundreds of meters.
I bet you can find some good help in the FC40 forum !
viewforum.php?f=20

One more thing to keep in mind. If you're getting an Immersion Tx, get the 7 channel Black Pearl. That Tx doesn't work so well with the 32 channel for some reason.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj