How good is the Hero3+ built in Wifi FPV via smartphone?

Well in the end if he wants to do it he is going to do it, even against the advise from anyone.. just please post the flyaway video for everyone else that is asking...

I have decided not to risk it, but there where a few times I 'almost' forgot to turn off wi-fi (although I never saw anything from DJI saying to always turn it off before flight). But I wouldn't of dared used the FPV app...

Why risk it? I always have it off. I even have the osd turned in is I can see wifi off. Part of my preflight.

maximusa said:
I have decided not to risk it, but there where a few times I 'almost' forgot to turn off wi-fi (although I never saw anything from DJI saying to always turn it off before flight). But I wouldn't of dared used the FPV app...

My GoPro lives permanently on my P2, so I have no reason to ever turn WiFi on.

People here aren't spending more than $500 average to add FPV if they thought they could use the GoPro's WiFI.

I have used the GoPro WiFi with my Windows smart phone before but not with a Phantom. Also you have to realize their are a lot of smartphones that can't run & install the GoPro WiFi application.

WiFi and Phantom1's and Phantom2 non vision quads don't mix.

maximusa said:
Yes but the P2 fully supports gopro and how else am I getting my files to my computer without it (wifi)? Djis own lightbrige uses 2.4GHz for video transmission.

I guess I must have wasted over $500 buying installing an FPV system when I could have used Wi-Fi & my phone. I forgot, how far is the Wi-Fi suppose to work? I also wouldn't have had to take my micro SD card out of my camera to copy the files to my computer. Shoot it's probably only a 50-50 chance that my Phantom will crash or fly away using Wi-Fi. What the heck, go far it and let us know how it goes and goes and goes.

Bluegrass said:
I guess I must have wasted over $500 buying and installing an FPV system when I could have used Wi-Fi & my phone. I forgot, how far is the Wi-Fi suppose to work? I also wouldn't have had to take my micro SD card out of my camera to copy the files to my computer. Shoot it's probably only a 50-50 chance that my Phantom will crash or fly away using Wi-Fi. What the heck, go far it and let us know how it goes and goes and goes.

You're being sarcastic, right? :)

QYV said:
Bluegrass said:
I guess I must have wasted over $500 buying and installing an FPV system when I could have used Wi-Fi & my phone. I forgot, how far is the Wi-Fi suppose to work? I also wouldn't have had to take my micro SD card out of my camera to copy the files to my computer. Shoot it's probably only a 50-50 chance that my Phantom will crash or fly away using Wi-Fi. What the heck, go far it and let us know how it goes and goes and goes.

You're being sarcastic, right? :)
I've been know to be sometimes.

Fotoman said:
I didn't know about that. I've been flying my P2 with the wifi on for over 3 months. I use my iPod to start the camera before taking off and to look at the footage when it comes back. Never had any issue.
But forget FPV. There is a 3-4 seconds lag and you loose contact a few feet off the ground. That's been the case with my setup anyway.
So is the wifi on throughout the flight?

Yes. I used to turn it on before powering the Phantom and I would adjust the settings on the GoPro wile the Phantom would find the GPS signal. Just before takeoff I would activate the camera.

I stopped doing this after reading the comments on this thread. But as I said, I never had an issue and I flew dozens of times with the wifi on.

The Wi-Fi on the GoPro works good enough to make your Phantom crash into the ground...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20