How good is the Hero3+ built in Wifi FPV via smartphone?

Reaction score
I eventually want to do a custom FPV setup, but I hear that the Hero3+ Wifi to smartphone can reach up to 600 feet and still have transmission. This would be near or on par with the FPV on the FC40. Anyone running this only and is good enough for some applications in the mean time?

Been asked here many times. Wifi will affect your transmitters communication with the Phantom. Highly not recommended

Don't they operate on different channels and slightly different sub-frequencies? The risk of interference seems highly exaggerated. If this were the case, the hundreds of people operating in RC parks with 2.4 Ghz would be crashing all over the place.

You are perhaps forgetting that in this case the source of the interference - the GoPro - is sitting about 4" away from the Phantom's radio receiver. That's very different to flying 100' away from someone's WiFi.

Don't take our word for it, though. Try it for yourself if you must. But you WILL lose control.

There is much evidence of crashes due to this. The last one I remember here was a water crash.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Don't do it on a Phantom 2.
Off the Phantom, the app is OK for framing shots but has like a half second or so lag.

maximusa said:
Don't they operate on different channels and slightly different sub-frequencies? The risk of interference seems highly exaggerated. If this were the case, the hundreds of people operating in RC parks with 2.4 Ghz would be crashing all over the place.

Feel free to test this out if you don't believe us but we are trying to save you from learning the hard way.

If you want.... Just give me $75.00 and I'll hit your phantom with a bat. Or you can listen to all the advice telling you that it is a KNOWN bad idea to fly with Gopro's wireless. :)

I didn't know about that. I've been flying my P2 with the wifi on for over 3 months. I use my iPod to start the camera before taking off and to look at the footage when it comes back. Never had any issue.
But forget FPV. There is a 3-4 seconds lag and you loose contact a few feet off the ground. That's been the case with my setup anyway.

Fotoman said:
I didn't know about that. I've been flying my P2 with the wifi on for over 3 months... Never had any issue.
Many people operate vehicles without wearing a seatbelt and never have an issue. However, there is overwhelming evidence suggesting that it's not a wise thing to do. We are all just trying to help prevent people from losing their toys. Nobody is required to heed our advice.

I've also flown with the gopro wifi on accidentally and thank goodness didn't have any trouble but it'll work perfectly fine until the moment it doesn't and your Phantom flies off into neverneverland. It's simply not worth the risk imo.

scores of early flyaways have been attributed to leaving the gopro wifi on, I don't think it fair to say the problem is without precedent.

Was it an older GoPro that has had this problem and maybe not the latest Hero3+? Also, what about if your using the ZenMuse anti-interference board? Good 2 go? Or how about just aluminum foil around the go-pro to protect it from disturbing the Phantom?

maximusa, just stop and think about it for a minute. You're proposing to put a radio transmitter (the GoPro) that is transmitting on the same frequency that the Phantom's receiver uses, a few inches away from it. Ask yourself whether this is a sensible thing to do.

Yes but the P2 fully supports gopro and how else am I getting my files to my computer without it (wifi)? Djis own lightbrige uses 2.4GHz for video transmission.

maximusa said:
Yes but the P2 fully supports gopro and how else am I getting my files to my computer without it (wifi)?

I don't know what other people do, but personally I use an SD card reader to copy the video files from the GoPro to my PC.

It's your choice whether or not to take the advice you're being given, obviously, but honestly, people are just trying to help you here.

There is a reason that the Phantom 2 Vision TX/RX runs at 5.8 ghz, oh and the camera runs at 2.4 using good old wifi

Kevinski said:
There is a reason that the Phantom 2 Vision TX/RX runs at 5.8 ghz, oh and the camera runs at 2.4 using good old wifi

Yep. And on the P2 it's the other way around: the P2 control signal is 2.4GHz and the video transmitter 5.8GHz.

GoPro works just fine with FC40, the control is with 5.8G and the camera at 2.4G. Works fine for shot setup. The lag is like two seconds or less on the 3+ Silver.

maximusa said:
Yes but the P2 fully supports gopro and how else am I getting my files to my computer without it (wifi)? Djis own lightbrige uses 2.4GHz for video transmission.

you take out the SD card and put it in a computer and copy the files... easy. If you want to use the wifi on the gopro you're welcome to do so... I use the gopro's wifi and the app to change the settings easily...
however you should not FLY with the gopro's wifi on as that wifi signal can interfere with the controls and the Phantom may fly off and be lost.
You follow? just turn the wifi off when you fly, turn it back on when you need it. simple.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic