How far should my stock remote reach?.. Updated

Reaction score
Just wondering how far a stock remote should be able to reach. Mine keeps dropping out at 750ft. I made it to 1000ft one time. Then signal was lost and return home activated. I have new batteries in the remote and the antenna pointed kinda back towards me and in the up position.

I do have a cell tower about a mile away. I'm wondering if that is messing with it????

Today 11/18/14

I took copter to the lake. It's wide open and flat. The best I could get was 1200ft again and the wifi extender kept cutting out also. Both had fresh battery. I tried the antenna at all different angles but still the same luck. I have set software on computer to 1.5 miles so it's not being limited by software. Very frustrated.

Re: How far should my stock remote reach?

It should reach farther than 1000 feet as long as you have line of sight to the phantom. Mine reaches a couple thousand feet on flat country with trees around and less than 400 feet elevation. In wide open country like from a high point on a mountain or a cliff over the ocean I get a mile from the stock unit.

Make sure antennae is perpendicular to the phantom, i.e. not pointing at it. That cell tower a mile away shouldn't affect it.

I do have trees in my line of sight plus houses. My inlaws have a 1500 acre cattle ranch that flat so I will get to try it out over the thanks giving break.
Just seemed like the remote should reach father than that around here but maybe not.
Would upgrading the antenna help???

Before you start modifying your equipment, there are lots of variables that affect range.
A couple include ..
Try to point the flat side of the antenna at your Phantom, not the point.
Straight up above is the most difficult angle for signal - out and up will go further.
SOme angles between your controller and the Phantom antennas work better than others.
Weather/humidity affects things too.
When things are right you should get around 800 metres.

You can't have ANYTHING between the phantom and your transmitter. Even bare tree branches. Nothing. And transmitter must always face the phantom.

Member Jason Haynes got 6 thousand feet with no assists...I was there.. :shock:

Today 11/18/14

I took copter to the lake. It's wide open and flat. The best I could get was 1200ft again and the wifi extender kept cutting out also. Both had fresh battery. I tried the antenna at all different angles but still the same luck. I have set software on computer to 1.5 miles so it's not being limited by software. Very frustrated.

You have checked to see if you are in CE or FCC mode, right? When you turn on the remote: One beep = limited CE mode, two beeps = FCC mode.

FCC mode will get you an extra 200m.

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phanto ... Controller

Also I find if you rotate the WiFi brick thing so the flat top part of it is aimed forward at your drone that gets you a bit more distance.

Replacing the antenna on your remote is the best way to get a bit more range. There's a sticky at the top of this forum with lots of details but this is the easiest one. I did it and I'm very happy with the results. Eventually I got almost 2000m. That's enough for me but lots of modders have gone way farther.

1970m.png

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ5XYMmQu-w[/youtube]

I get about 700m with the transmitter. I find it odd that I get further FPV with a booster app.

Anyways... try this.. may/may not work...
get a small Phillips head screw driver and flip the controller over. There are 2 holes with 2 pots, one for 7th ch and the other to for CE/FCC. In the CE/FCC hole, carefully and slowly turn clockwise to max.

My remote does beep twice so it's in the longer range mode.

Thanks for all the tips.

Today I was flying it at 600ft straight above me and loosing signal. I think im gonna upgrade the antennas. Don't think I have a choice.
Max distance so far is 1500ft in wide open area. That's kinda sad in my opinion.

Gonefishing51077 said:
My remote does beep twice so it's in the longer range mode.

Thanks for all the tips.

Today I was flying it at 600ft straight above me and loosing signal. I think im gonna upgrade the antennas. Don't think I have a choice.
Max distance so far is 1500ft in wide open area. That's kinda sad in my opinion.

How are you orienteering your antenna when going straight up above you?
Have it parallel to the ground if you are going for height above your head.

Just to reiterate.. Its the "flat" side of the antenna you want pointed at the bird.

2ikwjub.jpg

In other words, the tip should never point to the phantom.

Hello all, this is my first post in the forum. I bought my Phantom vision + about a week ago.

I am having disappointing range issues also! Stock, I would lose FPV at about 1000 feet. I live in West Palm Beach so I visited FPVLR and Tony installed stage 2 on the receiver. This gave me about 1800 feet of range. I almost aways lose FPV first, but I think I lost control of RF once also. Very frustrated..... I know I am in FCC mode in my software.. I have the new receiver and there is only one screw on the back, I have not messed with it yet. This was my next step, I saw earlier in the thread that someone said to turn it clockwise.

I am going to Tony on Monday to install birds antennas for both ..... Any other suggestions guys??? I flew it on the beach today where it there should not have been much interference and I only got about 1800 Feet....

Thanks guys

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj