How does the magnetic field of powerline affect the Phantom2

Reaction score
I bought my Phantom 2 V2 about a week ago. All flights are fine and I switched to NAZA-M ( one minor problem, but I will figure it out later).

So here is my question about power lines. I know the power lines have a magnetic field and that the magnetic field is perpendicular to the wire.
This is why we don't do a compass calibration near power lines, or it give a false North.

If I do a compass calibration away from a power line, then fly under it, what happens? Will it scramble (or reset) the circuit or will it just confuse the Phantom into thinking North may be somewhere else (temporarily)?
The reason I need to know is I am on one side of the canyon and need to fly the Phantom in the canyon upstream. There is a powerline going across the top of the canyon. When I fly upstream I will need to go under the power line maybe 20 feet under. Will it really mess the Phantom up, or will it just get a false reading of "North" but I should be OK as along as I am in Normal mode (S1 & S2 switches up).

I can understand it might get confused if the Phantom is in Course Lock or Home Lock, since the forward is based on original setting ( which ever way it was facing when it was set up).
But what about Normal mode? Will it still do something bad?

What if I walk close to the power line pole and test the compass on my Iphone. If it does not change, then I might be OK ?

Re: How does the magnetic field of powerline affect the Phan

Too hard to give a simple answer. The strength of the magnetic field depends on the current passing through the cables.
This will affect the distance over which it will have an influence.
RTH would also be affected. When the compass is affected by the field, it would not fly straight to home but perhaps a big curve.
If you are talking about high voltage lines, I'd be wary within 50 metres and definitely not calibrate the compass near them.

I am 99% sure the most voltage going though this line is either 120V or 240v. This power only goes to 1 house.

Definitely not higher than 240V.

You probably won't even notice anything.
I'm glad you said it goes to 1 house, that way we know it's probably only 240. People are flying around those all the time.

I'm looking forward to seeing the video, if you share. I like the canyons. Good luck getting satellites... :lol:

That's the risk... I will be on top of a mountain when I do compass cal and satellite pick up... no problem!

But going into the canyon is... well risky!

If you want to see a flight I made from the bottom of a canyon, http://www.wynotweb.com go to crazy woman.
It's not too tough, sometimes :eek:

Low voltage - stay far enough away to make sure you don't crash into it ... otherwise no worries.

Hey thanks rockhoundrob,

I was walking around on the road. I cut the flight kinda short due to the temp.
I didn't have my winter gear out yet but it was getting kinda chilly.

If you will be flying canyons like that in CO, you should know, we get WIND, serious wind, out of nowhere... BOOM.

Winds can be howling just above the treetops, or canyons, and be relatively calm at ground level.
Everything in between is like being in a blender. Wind is something you have to listen for. ;)

Powerlines - even high voltage cross country lines are designed to have minimal magnetic fields. Using 3 phase, the fields will be cancelled out to a certain extent and will only extend about 10 - 20M beyond the line in any case.

Stay 50M clear of high voltage lines and far enough away from low voltage lines not to crash and you will never have an issue.

In the UK, some phone companies use pylons as mobile phone masts and relays, so there is more of a danger from radio interference from these, than from EM radiation from the power line itself.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1