How does iMovie handle files?

Reaction score
I'm new to video editing and am looking for help with iMovie (10.1.1 on the Mac). My scenario is that I have shot a pile of video clips on my P3A, of a nearby location, and want to edit them into a single clip. In iMovie where do I import the clips? Do I import them into the new Project I have started or do they go into the iMovie Library or one of the sub-Events you can create?

Also, once imported can I delete the original files from my Mac? On one attempt at this everything seemed to work fine but on the next all the clips turned to ???, though the Timeline itself seemed OK.

Thanks

iMovie is fairly easy to use. I used it for a while and just now upgraded to final cut. The things you are asking are kind of a long process to type out. But I learned everything I know now on YouTube. [emoji51]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I had no experience with any editing of any kind until a few months ago. YouTube was my best friend. I have owned my Mac for two years and only started using iMovie once I bought my p3a a few months ago. Just start from the beginning and if possible open two screens, one for YouTube and the other for iMovie, and just look up each question as you edit. The first few times it will take longer to make and edit a movies. But you will find out quickly that's is very simple. 1st edited video is always exciting, so please post it here when done.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I use imovie exclusively, it works very nice editing 4k videos as long as the computer can handle it.
Im older MacBook Air struggled with 4k video, I just bought a new MackBook Pro and 4k is not an issue with this computer.
As for how to use imovie,
Watch this and you'll be fine.

Reactions: PinnacleRun
Thanks for the replies. I am relatively comfortable using iMovie and have already done as you both suggested and watched a few tutorials. The one above is on my list, I just haven't had the time yet. My issue is that it seems to be a bit odd how iMovie handles the media you import. So far all the videos I have watched gloss over this.
From my research and experimentation you can import clips into either your active Project or an Event in the Library. In either instance they appear in the All Media area and can be dragged to any Timeline. I was having issues with the media disappearing from Events when I deleted the original files but it seems to be inconsistent. I'm just not sure how I am resolving it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20