How does GS handle altitude changes?

Reaction score
Howdy....

I couldn't find this in the manual... just wondering how GS handles altitude changes? I have a P2V+

If I have a way point at 10m, and then another at 20m.... will it climb first and then move horizontally? Or both at the same time? What happens if it hasn't reached 20m by the time it gets to the 2nd waypoint?

If I launch from the ground to a waypoint 100m away and 100m high, is it smart enough to adjust it's vertical speed to arrive at the waypoint at the right altitude? Will it pause at the waypoint until the altitude reaches 100m?

Sorry if that's all confusing. Let me know your thoughts.

Best,

Ben

The groundstation will gradually climb or descend to the altitude of the next waypoint, at whatever rate is necessary to have it arrive at the waypoint at the same time as the altitude.

At the start of the mission, it's often a good idea to set a waypoint directly above your launch point, at the same height as your next waypoint downrange...or just climb to that height manually before hitting go.

I'll go ahead and move this thread to the groundstation section of the forum ;)

Howdy...

Thanks for the info, and the move... :)

Just for clarification.. Obviously, there are times when the craft won't be able to arrive at the next waypoint and altitude at the same time. For example, a waypoint just 10m away, but 100m higher.

So... am I correct in saying it won't proceed to the next waypoint until it has reached the previous waypoint in BOTH distance and height? If it gets there first, it'll pause and continue to climb until it reached the height....before continuing?

Is that right?

Best,

Ben

Correct, when the math won't let the aircraft arrive at the set coordinates and set height at the same time, it doesn't consider itself as arriving at the waypoint until it's achieved both. The exception to that is if you use a turn type that creates a path that cuts around the waypoint, since it won't ever arrive at the waypoint's exact location.

OK.... I'm not sure what you're referring to about a 'turn type'... But maybe I'm the one confused here...

I'm referring to the ground station feature of the Android App that comes with the P2 Vision+.... I'm guessing there's a more full-featured ground station software you can get... But that's not what I have...

Does it work the same way with my Android App (that I use to view the camera, and then swipe to get the ground station waypoint features)....?

Thanks. Sorry for my confusion...

B.

Not at all, the confusion and error was all mine...I completely missed that you have a Vision+ :oops:

The altitude-distance reconciliation should still happen for you before each waypoint is counted as reached, as each waypoint is a set of variables that include height+position for that destination.

I'm not sure if the V/V+ app has the same turn type options, but on the standard groundstation you have the option of using progressive turns that cut the corner so to speak when passing a waypoint (or overshoot it a bit and then return to course).

I'll re-wave my magic wand and move this over to the P2V+ section for you, now that it's had the full tour of the place :D

Great!

Are there any veteran P2V+ users out there that can confirm that the V+ does isn't moderate it's vertical speed to attempt to reach the waypoint at the same time as the set horizontal speed?

Can you also confirm that a V+ won't proceed to the next WP until both height and position have been reached for the previous?

Thanks!

Ben

Not being a Groundstation user myself I don't have first hand experience but this video should shed some light on the mystery. You have to be patient for the guy to get the mission underway but once he does, he does exactly as you said; sets his first waypoint really near and high so the Phantom arrives at the waypoint then ascends for what seems like an eternity.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzFCiFlNcWU[/youtube]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik