How does a P3 adv handle up drafts

• Thread starter Deleted member 120647
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 120647

Some of the coastal cliffs I fly around occasionally get updrafts strong enough to blow waterfalls upward, I suddenly wondered how a P3adv would handle such a stong updraft? Could it get carried upwards and if so what if it was carried through a height limit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the coastal cliffs I fly around occasionally get updrafts strong enough to blow waterfalls upward, I suddenly wondered how a P3adv would handle such a stong updraft? Could it get carried upwards and if so what if it was carried through a height limit?
The drone has a max downward speed of 3 metres/sec.
If the updraft is stronger than that, the drone goes upwards too.
But if you ever found yourself in that situation, you dont have to let the drone get carried away.
The drone can fly much faster horizontally too and updrafts are going to be fairly narrow so it should be easy to slip out horizontally.

Reactions: Capt KO
Thanks, I assumed that flying out of the updraft would be a means of escape but am curious as to what would happen if that were not done and the drone were carried through a height limit. Will it still continue to attempt to descend at 3m/s until below the height limit etc.?

Thanks, I assumed that flying out of the updraft would be a means of escape but am curious as to what would happen if that were not done and the drone were carried through a height limit. Will it still continue to attempt to descend at 3m/s until below the height limit etc.?
You would have to have a low height limit set.
Updrafts don't go forever ... unless you have a very high cliff behind/above you, it will dissipate and fade out.

Reactions: BigAl07
If the drone stays in the updraft it will go up, and up, and up if, as has been said, the updraft is stronger than drones capability of going down, 3m/sec.
When I'm flying my R/C glider I LOVE updrafts but not when flying the drone!
If you do get in one on a cliff top fly AWAY from the cliff, not back inland as the wind tends to curl over and become very turbulent as you go inland from the face! I have had some very hairy landings with my gliders just inland of the face!

Ta, as a matter of interest do RC gliders have imposed CAA height limits the way drones do? Having seen some hang gliders and para gliders riding edge/ridge waves I'd guess an RC glider must be capable of some height

In the UK, no. Primarily because one would always fly a model glider/aircraft in line of sight or you would have no idea what it was doing! Unlike a drone, unless you've fitted a camera, and some people do, there is no feedback from them.

In the UK, no. Primarily because one would always fly a model glider/aircraft in line of sight or you would have no idea what it was doing! Unlike a drone, unless you've fitted a camera, and some people do, there is no feedback from them.

Actually all RC models have a height limit imposed by Authorities, in the UK the CAA allows BMFA to set and promulgate guidelines for all RC Flyers in UK. These guidelines fall within the CAA allowed limits.
Over recent years - BMFA and its parent body SMAE have been part of the EU overall body to define rules and guidelines for RC flying ... UAV is not only 'Drones' ...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20