How do you tell if your wifi module is dying?

Reaction score
Recently FPV footage for me has gotten really choppy after the 100m distance mark, sometimes even losing connection at 60m and I don't think this is actually normal.

Previously in other threads, I did say I crashed into the tree once but I thought damage was only to the lower left arm and nothing else but that doesn't seem the case now.

I guess I'm super unlucky.

So is my wifi module dying?

did you open the shell after the crash to see if anything was dislodged, disconnected or otherwise out of place?

bbfpv said:
did you open the shell after the crash to see if anything was dislodged, disconnected or otherwise out of place?

I did a full shell replacement recently, which was done by the store. They didn't say about any damages inside so I assumed everything's all good inside.

are u running full fpv resolution? if so, try dropping it down a couple of settings, see if that helps. there have been others w/ full resolution problems as well, and even a suggested fix in one of the other threads.

If you own a P2V+ v2.0 you should most definitely open up your wifi module and properly heatsink it. It will most definitely save it if it is not damaged already. And according to the guru user burlbark, it will even improve your wifi. This is easy for me to say because I have done the mod lol. See this thread viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34991. There are other threads also on this subject.

EDIT: I would even go as far as to say if you have a v3 wifi module with the holes in it, that you should open that one up and properly heatsink it. I would almost guarantee that DJI didn't properly heatsink those either.

BlackTracer said:
If you own a P2V+ v2.0 you should most definitely open up your wifi module and properly heatsink it. It will most definitely save it if it is not damaged already. And according to the guru user burlbark, it will even improve your wifi. This is easy for me to say because I have done the mod lol. See this thread viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34991. There are other threads also on this subject.

EDIT: I would even go as far as to say if you have a v3 wifi module with the holes in it, that you should open that one up and properly heatsink it. I would almost guarantee that DJI didn't properly heatsink those either.

I have a V3. Okay thanks, i'll take a look at it.

bbfpv said:
are u running full fpv resolution? if so, try dropping it down a couple of settings, see if that helps. there have been others w/ full resolution problems as well, and even a suggested fix in one of the other threads.

I'm running on 640X480, 15fps.

Tried 30fps but the feed lagged too badly so I went a step down to 15fps.

Before the crash I could fly it significantly further before it started to get choppy on these settings, but after I got it back with the new shell, it started getting choppy at closer distances, which is really odd, i feel.

open the case. if all you contracted the shop to do was switch cases, they probably didn't spend any time inspecting the components, and i'd wager didn't bother to test the bird either...

the community is on the fence about this, but how would they know you reopened it? it's a replacement body. just dont go stripping any screws :)

sorry to bump this up again i just got a couple of questions.

Anyone currently using the iPhone 4S as a mobile device for your FPV?

Because my 4S is almost 4 years old and i'm wondering if the age of the device actually affects the wifi quality overall. Or is it the possibility of my range extender dying?

Okay, so i'm still suffering from broken/choppy video feed on my mobile device. But I realize that it only happens when i turn the quad to a specific direction.

when i turn it back to the back of the quad facing me, i regain connection back mysteriously.

BTW, i'm flying in a suburban area.

EDIT: I'm actually considering some antenna upgrades on my range extender to see if it will improve the wifi signal issues. Any thoughts on this?

I had the same issue when my bird would be oriented to have the left side facing me. The FPV would freeze, yaw around and the FPV would come back. I went with FPVLR antennas to resolve the issue. Not saying that it did resolve the issue, but the antennas they provided allows for an improved 360 exposure.

Rather than your antenna being the problem, you may have an issue at the antenna connections at the module itself. The stock antennas are a fairly simple design and are not likely to fail, other than their connectors. You can tighten the male and female connector interface...google is your friend...MMCX is the connector type.

Very possible the female connector has loosened off the board and is causing a poor connection. My bird is 100% at this time, so I have not dug into the assumed board connector issue just yet. Now armed with a hot air station and a little confidence, I do plain on replacing the MMCX smt connectors sometime in the future with a known better quality.

Good luck!

RichWest said:
I had the same issue when my bird would be oriented to have the left side facing me. The FPV would freeze, yaw around and the FPV would come back. I went with FPVLR antennas to resolve the issue. Not saying that it did resolve the issue, but the antennas they provided allows for an improved 360 exposure.

Rather than your antenna being the problem, you may have an issue at the antenna connections at the module itself. The stock antennas are a fairly simple design and are not likely to fail, other than their connectors. You can tighten the male and female connector interface...google is your friend...MMCX is the connector type.

Very possible the female connector has loosened off the board and is causing a poor connection. My bird is 100% at this time, so I have not dug into the assumed board connector issue just yet. Now armed with a hot air station and a little confidence, I do plain on replacing the MMCX smt connectors sometime in the future with a known better quality.

Good luck!

thanks for your input. mine specifically occurs when the right side of the quad is facing me and i get the stuttering/broken connection. Once I yaw to the left, it's all good again. Alright, i'm gonna check the connectors like you said. Maybe they did come loose since I had a crash the other time. Additionally going for an antenna upgrade too since the extra range would really be sweet

Hi, sorry to bump my thread again.

Can any kind soul take a picture of their phantom's interior as shown as in my uploaded attachments?

Because I have a feeling that one of the wifi antennas might be placed in a wrong/awkward position hence the drops in connection. I just need to check with someone else who has a stock V3 without any issues with wifi on where their wifi antennas are placed.

Attachments

• Phantom wifi ant 1.jpg
    Phantom wifi ant 1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 500
  • Phantom wifi ant 2.jpg
    Phantom wifi ant 2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 511
BlackTracer said:
Those appear to be in the normal place. Mine is not a v3 but that antenna placement is not different on a v3.

because I was looking at it and it seems that the right side antenna is placed near the vents, while the left side antenna is nowhere near the vents, placed further in front instead of being directly beside the vents.

So I was wondering if this was causing the signal drops or bad lag whenever i turn the quad to the right side?

Nobody showed me a picture of their quad's interiors so that kinda sucks.

phantomnoobpilot said:
BlackTracer said:
Those appear to be in the normal place. Mine is not a v3 but that antenna placement is not different on a v3.

because I was looking at it and it seems that the right side antenna is placed near the vents, while the left side antenna is nowhere near the vents, placed further in front instead of being directly beside the vents.

So I was wondering if this was causing the signal drops or bad lag whenever i turn the quad to the right side?

Nobody showed me a picture of their quad's interiors so that kinda sucks.

Can assure you mine is the same. Sorry don't have a photo.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4