How do you navigate when it's just a dot in the sky?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I would like to attempt some flights far from me (not necessarily so high, just a bit higher and than run around); but am scared. It will become a dot; unclear what is forward and what is backwards. Yes, I know, IOC, I have enabled it and been reading everything about it, but still feel a tad bit nervous to ever try. I feel I will get confused, not being able to bring it back as I see only a dot - and the clock to seven is running... Any advice?

Fly low and slow for a week or so before getting to tricky. Takes practices.
You need to become comfortable close in before getting too far out there or you will loose it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the FAA says we should only be flying these things to 400 feet, so it shouldn't be a problem!

;)

-Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Exaclty-home lock. How? I mean, lets assume its too high and a bit far. In home lock pressing down on right stick will bring it to you, but it will actually pass you and fly behind as it does not stop at home right?

Home lock doesn't work within 10m, it will go into course lock. If the nose was pointing away from you at start up no problem. If it was sideways or backwards the controls will reverse or be different as it approaches you. Suddenly it will fly sideways or backwards! Lots of fun!

I was practicing this evening on course lock, it normally works beautifully. After draining one battery, I switched to another, and course lock was gone. In flight, I switched back and forth between GPS and ATTI, and CL - HL, nothing worked, it was in regular ATTI mode. Really no big deal, but I want to rely on course lock for various reasons, has anybody else encountered this?

IceFireSoul said:
Exaclty-home lock. How? I mean, lets assume its too high and a bit far. In home lock pressing down on right stick will bring it to you, but it will actually pass you and fly behind as it does not stop at home right?
Actually, right stick will make it fly a circle around you in a clockwise direction. Home lock is great, but I prefer course lock...!

paradiseaerial said:
I was practicing this evening on course lock, it normally works beautifully. After draining one battery, I switched to another, and course lock was gone. In flight, I switched back and forth between GPS and ATTI, and CL - HL, nothing worked, it was in regular ATTI mode. Really no big deal, but I want to rely on course lock for various reasons, has anybody else encountered this?

Please read up and look at videos on Course Lock. It seems you are missing the basics. For example, when you "switch" batteries, all your previous flight info is gone! CL must be set again.

Here is what I do:

Start in GPS mode. Course lock switch in OFF position.
Lift up and fly away from me DIRECTLY FORWARD about 30 meters or more.
Now...put switch to CL.

To test if you are in CL, turn drone 90 degrees left or right and hover. Pull BACK on stick and see if drone comes BACK.
If it does not come BACK but move in the direction the tail (flashing lights) is in, then CL is not set.

Reorient the drone, fly out a little further and try the 90 degree trick again.
When drone's nose is pointing "left or right" and you pull the stick BACK....if the drone comes back...then you are in CL.

When I'm in CL, I always keep my *** facing the same way it was facing when I took off and I don't let the drone get behind me. It's boring but safe.

tmcgowan said:
Well, the FAA says we should only be flying these things to 400 feet, so it shouldn't be a problem!

400 feet is actually pretty high... and close to "dot in the sky" distance!

Yes, I learned my lesson on CL the hard way. Took it off in front of me, went into CL and then it went behind me, so I turned exactly in the opposite direction. Having had an Ar.Drone, I automatically was feeling CL would work so that pushing back always goes back. Of course it's not true; and it rather worked REVERSED now, as the drone was behind me. I pressed down-left and it shoot forward-up and into a river.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik