How do you land?

Reaction score
If I have a nice level surface and there is little wind, ill tend to land on the ground, however if its a little windy or uneven surface ill hover and physically "catch" the phantom. Just curious to know if others do this, and do you think its dangerous?

I am fairly impatient when I want to come down, so I like to CSC in mid-air, and/or simply find some soft bushes to dash into headlong. Depending on where you're flying, you might be able to get some help from a local shotgun owner.
[Note: Seriously, don't do any of this. Ever.]

I believe most many people hand-catch their Phantoms. I usually grab high up on the landing gear, or on the battery. It does present some risk, but so does breathing. Just pay full attention to your task until the motors are off.

Reactions: gamingcrewx
I've never hand caught my drone, I'm too worried about hitting my hand with the blades. I touch down each flight, never had an issue and I've landed in 45km+ winds

I always hand catch.

Reactions: Jimmer
I've never hand caught my drone, I'm too worried about hitting my hand with the blades. I touch down each flight, never had an issue and I've landed in 45km+ winds
There's very little risk of touching the blades if you approach it from directly underneath and go slowly until you get more comfortable. After the first couple of times, you'll have a much more confident feel for it.

There's very little risk of touching the blades if you approach it from directly underneath and go slowly until you get more comfortable. After the first couple of times, you'll have a much more confident feel for it.
I've had the drone move more than I care for at that low altitude, with it going sideways and moving around. I'll assume the VPS is trying to correct itself, and thus not that stable to catch. But each their own :)

Most of the times I find that landing surface is not leveled and plain, so I hand catch. During first two flights when I was experimenting with P3, I had prop guards mounted and I landed on a flat board.

Reactions: TulsaReiner
The trick with hand catching is not to fly it into your hand. Hover it at a good catching height. Walk up to it, grab the landing skid, then push thrust downward for 3 seconds.

Reactions: ronmcq and Jimmer
The trick with hand catching is not to fly it into your hand. Hover it at a good catching height. Walk up to it, grab the landing skid, then push thrust downward for 3 seconds.
Yeah, in any situation that I'd be worried about a 'rough' landing would also be the same situation the drone wouldn't be too still in a low hover.

Hand catch always, never had an issue and if is to windy I also hand launch to prevent a tip over

Hand catch 110% of the time. The other 0.00000647% that isn't is due to the fact that I'm not able to be present to hand-catch.

Reactions: Petros5678
I launch almost always from the ground (I have never had any tip over - I don;t even know how it's possible :) ) Landing - it depends - if the ground is not a grass, sand, gravel with bigger stones I land on the ground in other cases I hand catch. To be hones if you are proficient in flying, normal landing won't be a problem even in atti mode. Of course landing on sand or after the rain it's not a good idea.

I have carbon props so I'm not that worried about a tipover. The landing always seem very smooth. No need too hand catch... Yet.

Hand catch 99.9% of the time. Best to keep VPS off outside for stability.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20