How do you handle high contrast areas pictures?

Reaction score
Team,
When you have a scene that has 2 high differentiated contrast areas. How do you set your camera and/or video settings in P3P? In the attached picture, since the clouds are bright , then, the house is dark. I know I can fix a little bit with GIMP or PS, but I want a better source file to work with. I'll appreciate your comments.
DJI_0076.JPG

When you have a scene that has 2 high differentiated contrast areas. How do you set your camera and/or video settings in P3P?
If you just take the one image, in the camera you have to decide which to expose for - the highlights or shadows
In Photoshop there are a couple of tweaks you can try.
You can play with curves and shadows/highlights
or ...
You can shoot 5 frames using AEB bracketing to get two over and two underexposed images + the normally exposed one.
Combine these in your HDR program to get the best of shadow detail and highlights.

Here's a shot done that way. I had a real problem with detail in the white wash and the water looked black.
With a single shot it was just a burnt out white mess but by taking 5 of each frame and combining them, I could preserve detail in the shadows and highlights.
Because this shot is a 12 image panorama, I had to combine 60 individual images but the result was worth it.
306-365a-X2.jpg

To properly see the detail you can see it full screen here: Sea - Above & Beyond Photography

Reactions: bobmyers
If you just take the one image, in the camera you have to decide which to expose for - the highlights or shadows
In Photoshop there are a couple of tweaks you can try.
You can play with curves and shadows/highlights
or ...
You can shoot 5 frames using AEB bracketing to get two over and two underexposed images + the normally exposed one.
Combine these in your HDR program to get the best of shadow detail and highlights.

Here's a shot done that way. I had a real problem with detail in the white wash and the water looked black.
With a single shot it was just a burnt out white mess but by taking 5 of each frame and combining them, I could preserve detail in the shadows and highlights.
Because this shot is a 12 image panorama, I had to combine 60 individual images but the result was worth it.
306-365a-X2.jpg

To properly see the detail you can see it full screen here: Sea - Above & Beyond Photography
Great work!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik