How do you fly your phantom?

Reaction score
I've had my p3 for a few weeks now with maybe about 10 flights. Because I'm nervous about the firmware and other horror stories I mainly fly it in an open field 20 minutes away from me.

I'm a hobbiest so I just enjoy the flights and learning about what it can do and push my limits a little every time. On my last flight I did some fast back and forward flights and phunnels (while being VERY conscious of CSC).

I was wondering those who log lots of hours for fun what do you do with your phantom? How do you fly it? So you practice/test certain things and if so what?

I just fly. No real purpose other than fun. If I happen to see something cool, I'll take a pic or video. Sometimes I'll pick a landmark and try to fly to it from a park nearby, etc.

Regarding practice, I used to fly goal posts a lot when I first started. Between, over, under, around (trying POI), I'd put it in FPV and see how close I could get w/o freaking out.

Reactions: taroh and Coldfire
Just have fun with it. You paid your money you fly as you want within the rules obviously.

I do a similar thing about flying to a landmark and taking pictures and video etc. I also practice close up photos with things next to me so when the phantom is a bit further away you get get an idea for how close you actually are by how big the item looks in the view finder. Just yesterday I took several pictures of this tractor as I stood next to it and moved from one side to the other using the fpv screen but also looking how close it was as I was within feet of it. Then when it's a bit further away you'll have more confidence.

Next time out I'll do the same but fly to it from the other side of the field.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435088904.048398.jpg

Right now I'm flying to perfect skills needed to make great videos of house's & commercial accounts.

One I'm playing with now involves a laser measure that goes to 120ft marking my target at 80ft and using begginer mode to do pull up sweeps, pull outs, cross sweeps and ground up's ,spin in's.

Stick skills and studying film makers angle's of attack.

The measurable distance of 80ft or less allows aggressive techniques while using the beginner modes fence of 100ft.

Last edited:
My new thing is taking it out a long way via FPV then looking around well and landing it. Then bringing it back landing at different places with different terrain.

Reactions: charlie999
My new thing is taking it out a long way via FPV then looking around well and landing it. Then bringing it back landing at different places with different terrain.

You have my props on your flying...I just go thru to many adult size you know what's when I loose Los. Just not trusting myself for things like that. :)

I like long range flying although at first I was pretty nervous. Still nervous now but not as much. I think my longest is 2 miles. I'm looking into getting the itelite antennas or the ones from fpvlr (non-boosted). I'd like to see if I can push it out 3+ miles without having to be in a rural flat area. I have HeadPlay goggles coming to eliminate the brightness/glare issue and will look into an Nvidea Shield 2 when they come out in July/August in order to mirror its display (complete DJi Pilot App) to the goggles instead of using the soon to be released DJi HDMI out board as it only provides a very minimal OSD and no maps.

I fly FPV almost all the time, unless i am practicing POI camera lock or other maneuvers. At first I would use FPV to fly as close as I dared to an object in LOS, then look up to check the actual distance, this way I learned to judge the distance in the FPV better. (here is where the prop guards came in handy as at first I got a little too close)

I'm a landcape photographer and I started with the P2V+ last December to enable me to get completely new viewpoints. I've have the P3P for about 3 weeks and its that time of the year in Australia when we get some lovely conditions with low lying fogs in the early mornings...here's one from Sunday morning.....
BLLalLal0474v.jpg

I've been doing FB photo's of our little town, recreating vintage photo's taken by airborne photographers from the 1950's and 60's. The changes of the town over time are remarkable. I made a large scale print 18x24 and donated it to our town hall. I've got 55 flights on my P3P approximately 4.5 hours. 183,000 Ft. LOL. On a side note. I own some acreage. I've been using the P3P to search the woods for a lost cow. It got loose last fall and is still roaming the woods. I do a quick morning flight over the fields FPV looking for it when the weather is good. I also jokingly made a flight over my property looking for the 2 escaped NY convicts... I live 50 miles away but you never know!

I fly stealth. I activate it by max banking left and reversing and at the same time yawing right whilst descending. Props and motor go into silent mode :)

Highlight below before attempting:
*** DO NOT TRY*** THIS TRIGGERS CSC AND KILLS THE MOTORS***

Highway to the danger zone... No other way to fly.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: cjmwales
I was wondering those who log lots of hours for fun what do you do with your phantom? How do you fly it? So you practice/test certain things and if so what?
Don't worry so much - there have been over a million personal drones sold in the past two years and the number of crashes is relatively small. People don't generally come to these forums to say "I had three more uneventful flights today".

I haven't flown a P3, so based on my experience with the P2, fly a few hours in ATTI mode. Then get some practice in Manual mode. (Throttle up when you switch to manual). When you can take off, fly and land in manual mode, then you are a better pilot.

Reactions: snowghost
Thats brave to land far out..... It tips one time bet you wont do it again lol
I'm a landcape photographer and I started with the P2V+ last December to enable me to get completely new viewpoints. I've have the P3P for about 3 weeks and its that time of the year in Australia when we get some lovely conditions with low lying fogs in the early mornings...here's one from Sunday morning.....View attachment 22798
Highway to the danger zone... No other way to fly.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I fly stealth. I activate it by max banking left and reversing and at the same time yawing right whilst descending. Props and motor go into silent mode :)

Highlight below before attempting:
*** DO NOT TRY*** THIS TRIGGERS CSC AND KILLS THE MOTORS***
Don't worry so much - there have been over a million personal drones sold in the past two years and the number of crashes is relatively small. People don't generally come to these forums to say "I had three more uneventful flights today".

I haven't flown a P3, so based on my experience with the P2, fly a few hours in ATTI mode. Then get some practice in Manual mode. (Throttle up when you switch to manual). When you can take off, fly and land in manual mode, then you are a better pilot.

Thanks but I have no idea what you are taking about..?

I've done about 20 flights at a local park. It is a somewhat controlled space where there is lots of room for mistakes and recovery. I practice there so I can learn how the P3 responds and get good at flying.

How do you fly it?

Using the little stick thingies... :)

In all seriousness my attitude is that its already lost, so any time i get flying it is a bonus. Its kind of like the spaceships i fly in EvE... undock it and assume its lost... if it comes home its a bonus...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31