How do you fly P2 with Futaba?

Reaction score
I fly my P2 H3-2D in GPS mode and I'm used to the self centering throttle stick. How does it work with a non self centering throttle stick like the futaba? How does one decrease height incrementally and then allow the P2 to hover at that elevation.

is there a way to make the throttle on a futaba self centering like the P2 radio?

shaunmed said:
I fly my P2 H3-2D in GPS mode and I'm used to the self centering throttle stick. How does it work with a non self centering throttle stick like the futaba? How does one decrease height incrementally and then allow the P2 to hover at that elevation.

is there a way to make the throttle on a futaba self centering like the P2 radio?

You can either get the centering spring from Futaba and retrofit it, or program a small dead spot in the throttle curve.

As noted, you can get a spring to make the throttle stick self center. If you have a 14SG or 10J those now have multicopter programming in them and include the ability to make a beep at center as well.

do you know of anyone who sells a good one? couldnt find it on the futaba website. thanks.

On my 8J I just removed the ratchet plate and the stick became self-centreing. No need for the spring kit (I waited 4 weeks for it to turn up from the US!!)

i feel silly buying a $400 futaba to fly my phantom 2 with lightbridge when i wont even be using its transmitter/ antenna. i have a spektrum dx61 which i think i will use instead. only drawback is that there is no way to adjust the gimbal pan/tilt incrementally :(

If you're going to put up the money for an expensive setup including LIghtbridge, you should be using a Futaba 8FGS or 14SG. I wouldn't skimp on the radio. As others have already said, you email Futaba asking for the centering spring and they send it to you gratis. Simple to install.

ianwood said:
If you're going to put up the money for an expensive setup including LIghtbridge, you should be using a Futaba 8FGS or 14SG. I wouldn't skimp on the radio. As others have already said, you email Futaba asking for the centering spring and they send it to you gratis. Simple to install.

I definitely see the wisdom in having a good radio and i may just bite the bullet and pay up for a futaba. One thing that i didnt like about the higher end radios is that they require specialized batteries. i was getting used to using 4 AA's.

goldfishrock said:
On my 8J I just removed the ratchet plate and the stick became self-centreing. No need for the spring kit (I waited 4 weeks for it to turn up from the US!!)

That's correct for the version with the ratchet, but not for the friction plate - it has no spring installed.

ok so if im buying a new Futaba (either 8J or 8FG) what should I look for in the description to identify that I can just remove something and it will become self centering?

ianwood said:

The 8FGS is being phased out. Get the 14SG. They just did an update to include multicopter programming.

the thing is that i dont fly anything but the P2 and when i do that i do it through the LB so i dont even use the antenna/ transmission. Seems like spending >$400 for a radio where you only use the sticks and for one vehicle is a bit much.

shaunmed said:
the thing is that i dont fly anything but the P2 and when i do that i do it through the LB so i dont even use the antenna/ transmission. Seems like spending >$400 for a radio where you only use the sticks and for one vehicle is a bit much.

Yes and no. The 14SG has nice configurability in terms of getting fine control of the P2 and gimbal, and room for expansion to more channels as future features appear on the aircraft. I think it is worth the extra.

Everyone keeps saying the 8FGS is discontinued but I can't find any proof of it. In fact, there are posts on forums over the past two years saying it's being discontinued but yet it's still available.

Most Futaba radios will work with a AA batteries, just fine... I am running a set of 4 in mine. I also have the rechargeable battery pack that lasts about 3x the AA battery pack.....I am pretty sure they all ship with the AA battery pack installed... someone correct me if I am wrong.

gecarey said:
Most Futaba radios will work with a AA batteries, just fine... I am running a set of 4 in mine. I also have the rechargeable battery pack that lasts about 3x the AA battery pack.....I am pretty sure they all ship with the AA battery pack installed... someone correct me if I am wrong.

The 14SG ships with an NiMH pack.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers