How Do You Fly Micro in House

Reaction score
I can take my P2V outside, pop it up, and rotate around an object or just make a circle. The GPS keeps it in the air at one level.
Now back in the house with a micro quad, I can pop it up, move it from room to room with me following it. Notice I am following it. If it yaws 90 degrees anyway, down it goes or crashes into something.
I have seen videos of persons that can fly around a room, make circles, and figure 8's without any problem. How that is done is a mystery to me when also fighting to keep it in the air. Must be well coordinated people with lots of brain power I don't have. :cry:
So how did you master these little things? :?:

all about stick time. thats the fun of a micro... learn to make the micro come to you vs you chasing it.

If you can learn how to fly it as it is pure manual mode it should take the edge and learning off a $1,300 Phantom

Happyflyer said:
I can take my P2V outside, pop it up, and rotate around an object or just make a circle. The GPS keeps it in the air at one level.
Now back in the house with a micro quad, I can pop it up, move it from room to room with me following it. Notice I am following it. If it yaws 90 degrees anyway, down it goes or crashes into something.
I have seen videos of persons that can fly around a room, make circles, and figure 8's without any problem. How that is done is a mystery to me when also fighting to keep it in the air. Must be well coordinated people with lots of brain power I don't have. :cry:

Now do you have some respect for the r/c fliers of the past who did not have GPS aided, IMU assisted, telemetry equipped 'floating' aircraft? :lol:

Not picking on you just pointing out the way it used to be just a few years ago. ;)

I have great respect for the real pilots. I have watched them at a few events in the past and wondered how that could fly like that.

Happyflyer said:

What kind of micro do you have? Some fly better than others.
One thing I have found is that its a lot easier to control if you keep it moving forward.

Bill

billn said:
One thing I have found is that its a lot easier to control if you keep it moving forward.

Bill
SYMA X5

Attachments

• Quad-Micro.JPG
    Quad-Micro.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 629
Happyflyer said:
billn said:

Bill
SYMA X5

I thought mine was small. It is tricky. Battery level seems to have a huge effect and it changes the longer you fly. Mine wants to drop if I yaw right and go up if I yaw left.
That could be from slamming it into the floor. :D

All in all, it's pretty durable.

Attachments

• Hubsan X4.jpg
    Hubsan X4.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 608
Does anyone here have a link to that YouTube video that show incredible flying of the Phantom? I can only dream of getting to that point! But, it does show what else we can do if weever get bored.

I hope someone will post it, so I can save it this time! As already stated: stick time is the answer. I wish I could come up that amount of free time!

Edit:'It is a video of a Phantom, whose pilot did incredible things, such as skimming along a handrail, going down a slide and more.

Happyflyer said:
Practice practice practice. I have a Hubsan X4 I like to fly indoors, although I wouldn't recommend it because the Hubsan is built like a tank and will break stuff. Just keep practicing and you will get it. It might come in handy if you ever need to fly your Phantom manual.

PhantomFanatic said:
Does anyone here have a link to that YouTube video that show incredible flying of the Phantom? I can only dream of getting to that point! But, it does show what else we can do if weever get bored.

I hope someone will post it, so I can save it this time! As already stated: stick time is the answer. I wish I could come up that amount of free time!

This one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-EygML_1cE

:eek: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

It's true that different micros can handle very differently. I much prefer my Blade Nano QX over the Topselling X6 (Hubsan clone) that I have. The X6 flies like a brick with an overly sensitive throttle. It's constantly going up and down. The Nano QX is much easier to keep at the same altitude. It's also lighter and easier to throw around.

Happyflyer said:
billn said:

Bill
SYMA X5
That's an x12, not an x5.

Happyflyer said:
The GPS keeps it in the air at one level.
The GPS just keeps the aircraft "on station" laterally. Level is maintained by the IMU.

dptcalvin said:
Happyflyer said:
billn said:

Bill
SYMA X5
You are 100% correct. I have been waiting for the X5C-1 to arrive for so long it is stuck in my brain. Maybe I need a transplant.

Happyflyer said:
dptcalvin said:
Happyflyer said:
billn said:

Bill
SYMA X5
You are 100% correct. I have been waiting for the X5C-1 to arrive for so long it is stuck in my brain. Maybe I need a transplant.
It took about a month or so for my X5C-1 to arrive. I like it though. Very nice quad. I practice with it and my Hubsan X4 Code Black indoors.

djsydvicious said:
It took about a month or so for my X5C-1 to arrive. I like it though. Very nice quad. I practice with it and my Hubsan X4 Code Black indoors.
My first one took longer than that. It was from a company that lies to their customers. That X5C-1 is a fun thing to fly. My first one is waiting for Spring to show up and the snow to melt away so we can find it. Currently in a snowbank on other side of road. I fear the one I am waiting for is stuck on a ship on the West coast waiting for the dock workers that already make too much money get their butts back to full work and get the backlog cleared up.

I mastered my phantom quite easily. I bought the Estes nano quad back in November. Man that thing is hard to control. Took me a few days to get good. My two year old son loves it too. I felt so bad but he was sitting next to me and I lost control and crashed into him. He had a small mark below his eye. He still loves it thou. Didn't find it overly useful for the phantom thou.

Before I got my Phantom 2 I flew hubsan X4's (plural, smashed more than a few).

I think it's well worth it before investing serious money, and for learning manual flying in all directions like the OP is talking about. Spend whole battery charges flying a straight line then yawing 180degrees, flying back the same distance, fly back, yaw again - rinse and repeat until until you can turn it on the spot :) then fly squares, take off and land from chairs, things like that.

Yes basically I am a man-child.

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj