How do you edit your videos?

Reaction score
So . . . .

I usually end up with a single 20minute clip filmed on the GoPro and i'd like to get it down to a 2minute video for youtube and general phone/ipad/airplay.

I used to use iMovie on the iPad which is brilliant for simple cutting but i want to mess around a bit more. I've started to learn Adobe After Effects CC but it's more for editing smaller clips that then go into a bigger production. It's really cool playing with the stabilisation and tracking features.

But it's difficult to cut in AE CC (or at least I dont know how) and when trying to stabilise a whole 20min clip it spasses out as there is to much movement.

What do you use?

To trim a video in After Effects:

Alt+[ (left bracket) or Alt+] (right bracket) - Trim In point or Out point of selected layers to current time

Also handy:

Ctrl+D - Duplicate layer

After Effects isn't necessarily the best program for editing video, but I've pretty much developed a workflow that I like, so I do all of my video editing, effects and color grading within After Effects.

After Effects is amazing and powerful, but overkill if all you are doing is clipping shots. There are quicker solutions for just clipping. But if you want what AE has to offer, and you know what you are doing, then definitely use AE. I use After Effects almost daily.

Hate to sound like such a newb with this suggestion, but for simply clipping videos and getting them ready for YouTube posting, I use Windows Movie Maker. :oops:

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Yup... Windows Movie Maker is dead simple - as is the GoPro Studio software (both are free - and work good if you're simply cutting up video clips).

Using After Effects to make clips is like taking a 747 to go buy milk at the corner store. GoPro Studio is good for making clips especially if using Protune and it's priced really well ($0). If you don't have an NLE like Premiere or FCP, use GPS for that too. It's buggy but you can learn its weaknesses and work around them.

I also use the free GoPro Studio. Took me maybe 20 minutes of fiddling around with it to understand how it works. Once over that learning curve, it's pretty good for basic arrangement of clips and adding music, titles, etc. It also does a pretty good job of basic image improvement. I'm going to give After Effects a try based on the conversation here, but GoPro Studio covers the basics pretty well.

- LIONDOG

I've been using iMovie on the Mac.

I have Adobe Premiere and Final Cut on deck for when I'm trying to do something that can't be done in iMovie.

I use Cyberlink's PowerDirector 12. It's cheap and seems very capable. I'm not skilled at video editing but I find making adjustments, trimming, cutting, joining, etc. to be pretty easy with PowerDirector. I think you can trial it for free but its cost is less than $100 US.

Premiere Pro is my go to editor. I used the Go Pro Studio only for processing 3D from my twin Hero HD. As ianwood mentioned it is buggy and I find it clunky too.

I use Corel VideoStudio Pro X6. All of $80, and its UI is very intuitive, and it comes with ProDAD image stabilization, which I use all the time. Amazed at how easy Multi-trim editing is, with cross-fades dropped in, mute audio, put a title on front, and bada-bing-bada-boom your done in no time. Renders quickly in 1080p/30fps on my Sony VAIO laptop (PC).

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
I use Corel VideoStudio Pro X6. All of $80, and its UI is very intuitive, and it comes with ProDAD image stabilization, which I use all the time. Amazed at how easy Multi-trim editing is, with cross-fades dropped in, mute audio, put a title on front, and bada-bing-bada-boom your done in no time. Renders quickly in 1080p/30fps on my Sony VAIO laptop (PC).

Kelly

Any youtube examples of what it comes out like?

wkf94025 said:

Kelly
X2. Been using it for years.

wkf94025 said:

Kelly

Corel Pro X6 here also, so many features and templates... Great software[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I recently inadvertently stumbled onto a feature in Windows Media Player that I have found really useful when reviewing the .mp4's off the GoPro. If you click on the timeline near the bottom of the window, you can then use left and right arrow keys to jump at various rates backward and forward through the clip. I find Shift-right-arrow to be the best for flying through 20min of footage and quickly finding the small segments that are worth spending a little time on.

Kelly

RickF said:
I use Cyberlink's PowerDirector 12. It's cheap and seems very capable. I'm not skilled at video editing but I find making adjustments, trimming, cutting, joining, etc. to be pretty easy with PowerDirector. I think you can trial it for free but its cost is less than $100 US.

Same here- I went into knowing it was an amateur type software platform not expecting much and not really wanting much- as I began to gain some understanding of the gui and features, I became very immersed in the program- I am now having some fun experimenting with the multi-cam feature. I also like being able to do audi voice over on the digital mic in audio director and have it seamless with the powerdirector.

I use photoshop for all jpg and still editing- and I have never used the color software program for playing with the raw footage and doing corrections... it is a long and arduous process and I kind of left that for last. I have become pretty good at special effects in some regards... but only until I see the really great work out there and then I always feel so inadequate.

The thing about software and platform choices in digital media editing- even if it is only basic, is if you get comfortable with a simple and basic program, should you find yourself wanting to do more, and take it further, you hit that glass ceiling very quickly. Switch to a better program and you have to relearn the interface and features all over again... this was my primary reasoning when choosing powerdirector- it was easy to do simple stuff... but able to do pretty advanced stuff that most mere mortals would perceive as fantastic- only the professionals would see the the flaws.

It is a decent video editing solution if you never plan on going beyond intermediate editing tasks. It comes in several flavors... the audio and color correction packages are split out on leaner versions- the basic video editing program is pretty reasonable for what it does. My favorite feature is the ease of splitting video and audio on the fly, and splitting and key frames on the fly with consistent results. My only complaint is the rendering screen- if you aren't familiar with how it jags a little, then you might think your film is crap... it always produces a better end product than the preview (I suffer from a lack of RAM too)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj