How do you discharge the Controller Battery

Reaction score
Lot's of threads on discharging the copter batteries, but how do you discharge the controller if you aren't going to use for a while, or are traveling? Just leaving it on is pretty irritating with the beeping...

By default, the battery will start to auto discharge itself to a safe storage level after 10 days. The discharge process takes about 2 days to complete. Make sure you don't press the battery button during that period. If you do, the 10-day period will be reset.

It would be best to change that setting from 10 days to 2 days in the DJI go app. That way your batteries won't be fully charged for 10 days. If you have more than one battery, you'll need to set that setting after powering up your Phantom with each battery installed.

No. The remote controller battery does not auto discharge itself. DJI does not recommend attempting to discharge it.

So is the Remote Controller battery not a LiPo battery? I would think the recommendation against storing any LiPo battery at full charge would apply to the Remote Controller if it is.

It is a LiPo. There isn't an easy way to discharge it though.

You could if you're really determined to discharge it. Considering that most people do not attempt to discharge it and few people need to replace their remote controller battery, I'd recommend just keeping it as-is and not worrying about it.

If you're not going to fly for a long while, the most fun and practical way is to fly a whole bunch until the controller shows half charge- consider that a storage charge I guess. You can fly the simulator too if you're using an iPad. Perfect way to blow off some juice if needed.

Reactions: alokbhargava
Seems like the latest RC update has included an auto off function for RC inactivity. As stated before I was leaving on to drain battery before long term storage. The controller would beep, but stay on. Now after several minutes of beeping it turns itself off.

If DJI were worried about it they would have included an auto discharge for the controller. Obviously, that's not the case. So if DJI isn't worried. I wouldn't worry. Try not to think to much about it. :)

Reactions: rbreban and MrMcfly
I found a simple solution to discharge the
RC to storage level. A loose rubber band between the sticks keeps enough action so that the controller doesn't shut off or beep.
I know I'm probably over thinking but it's getting cold here so probably won't fly till spring I feel better discharged to 50%

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj