How do you discharge batteries?

Reaction score
What is the preferred method of discharging your batteries to 8%. It seems like it would take a long time idling on the ground to go from the 15% I have mine set at to 8%.

JoeyD said:
What is the preferred method of discharging your batteries to 8%. It seems like it would take a long time idling on the ground to go from the 15% I have mine set at to 8%.

Temporarily set your second power alarm for 8% and leave her hovering a few feet off the ground. Keep an eye on her and she will start to come down when the battery reaches 8%.

I fly mine down to 0% until it turns off on its own. I keep it around a foot off the ground for the last few percent. On my two older batteries (~60 flights on each) the last 3% has sometimes happened really quickly so you gotta be on it. I'm sure it's not the preferred method but I have fun doing it.

I'm not sure running the battery all the way down to 0% is a good idea. Li-Po and Lithium-Ions can get so low that the charger will think they are defective and refuse to charge them. Li-Pos also have a nasty habit of bloating when drained too far. If it bloats, it is no longer safe to use. If the low voltage/won't charge happens, you can sometimes recover them by "jumping" them for a few minutes with a battery of similar or slightly higher voltage. This gives them just enough energy that the charger will see them and charge them.

I have heard that discharging completely is bad but I read in the manual that they recommend going down to 0% periodically and that there is some sort of built in protection against over discharging. The manual mentions discharging to 8% or until it can no longer be turned on. I have never experienced no longer being able to turn it on. I definitely do the 0% thing more than just periodically though.

iswimmer said:
I have heard that discharging completely is bad but I read in the manual that they recommend going down to 0% periodically and that there is some sort of built in protection against over discharging. The manual mentions discharging to 8% or until it can no longer be turned on. I have never experienced no longer being able to turn it on. I definitely do the 0% thing more than just periodically though.

The manual recommends discharging to 8% once every 20 battery cycles.

Dirty Bird said:
JoeyD said:

Temporarily set your second power alarm for 8% and leave her hovering a few feet off the ground. Keep an eye on her and she will start to come down when the battery reaches 8%.

My assistant limits the second battery alarm to 12%. If I select 8% it reverts to 12% when I write it. Can you set yours to 8%?

At the end of a flight I will grab the legs like I'm doing a grab landing and then throttle up a little bit. The batteries seem to drain quite quickly.

Any product recommendations for a Discharger for the P2V? It has only 2 flat electrical leads into the battery. Do the electrical connectors have to be an exact match, or can I use alligator clips?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers