How do Phantom cameras stay level?

Reaction score
How do the cameras on the various editions of Phantoms stay level? What tells the camera when it's level with the earth?

The compass, flight controller, and other sensors work together to move the motors of the 3-axis gimbal to keep the camera steady. It works WONDERS, even on a P3 Standard with no Vision Positioning System.

What if you've had three completely different Phantoms (different copters, controllers, etc), and none of them had cameras that stayed level? All cameras wandered, rolling left to right?

Wow. What model Phantom? (1/2/3 etc.)

Do a gimbal calibration as well

They've all been P2V+ v3's. I've done many IMU calibrations (on a professionally-leveled pool table, and a heavy dining room table), as well as tried different gimbals, flight control modules, wifi transmission modules, remote controllers, etc. Every time the birds act the same.

I'm not aware of a way to calibrate the gimbal on a P2V+. Can it be done?

Not sure about a 2V+, I've only ever had a P3. Did the camera wander in flight or while the bird was on the ground? Also, seems like you are reeeeeeeeeeeeaally unlucky :confused:

Yeah, the P2V's had gimbal calibration and the P3's have it, but not the P2V+'s. I was hoping there was a calibration tool hidden in the Assistant software I hadn't seen. ;)

It's not a matter of luck. I've had too many Phantoms go through my hands doing this for it to be luck. There's a common denominator, but I just can't see it. Maybe it's the laptop I use for IMU calibration.

The cameras roll left or right when landed every so often, and every so often they roll in flight. I don't think I can fly for more than a couple of minutes without the camera being off-level.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1