How do people react to your phantom?

Reaction score
I thought this would be a pretty cool discussion.....I have noticed a lot while I've been flying lately that the majority of my neighbors come outside and watch the spectacle that is the Phantom Vision.....the kids seem to love it the most asking if they can fly it which to their dismay is a firm NO....but I've had mixed reactions from adults. A few Debbie downers that insist that they will become illegal soon because of "Rumors" they've heard about stricter regulations.....but the majority of people just seem to enjoy it and enjoy watching it fly.....how do people react that watch you fly your quadcopter

I don't fly on my street since I live in a no fly zone close to airport. When I'm out flying by the beach or anywhere I only have had positive comments and interested people. I don't fly near people usually though I prefer open spaces outside the city

knuckles said:
I don't fly on my street since I live in a no fly zone close to airport. When I'm out flying by the beach or anywhere I only have had positive comments and interested people. I don't fly near people usually though I prefer open spaces outside the city

very cool....I am not comfortable enough yet to fly it over water but I bet you could get some great footage of some waves coming in on the beach....I also prefer to fly over open spaces but the noise of the particular quad sure does attract a lot of attention....the only water I've flown mine over so far is our pool....so I have had some flight time over a body of water :lol:

I guess I must really avoid people because with about 35 recorded flights I have only talked to three people. A man and woman that thought it was very interesting and the other was a hex copter person flying from 1/4 mile away from me. We later had a long chat about our machines. So only two so far.

Happyflyer said:
I guess I must really avoid people because with about 35 recorded flights I have only talked to three people. A man and woman that thought it was very interesting and the other was a hex copter person flying from 1/4 mile away from me. We later had a long chat about our machines. So only two so far.

I'm beginning to feel a census from the last couple of posts that the majority of "responsible" flyers steer clear far away from people and buildings etc....is it frowned upon by the majority to not fly in neighborhoods or where there are landmarks around? i'm new to the hobby so I am just trying to get some insight if at all possible.

I am guessing I have had about 20 encounters, all positive. I always offer to have them look at the FPV monitor especially the kids. One encounter they were concerned about may occuping their space for a picnic. I explained I wo u ld be done shortly and it was OK. In the end after I showed it to their kids they aplauded when I landed and the parents thanked me for showing.

i've only had good reactions when i've gone out flying. I have to park outside the local houses for the field i fly around, had a nice chat with a women & kids who lived there explaining the kids ran in saying there was a UFO outside lol. They made me promise to go back again

Always positive. The kids really like to watch the fpv. If the area is clear I let them move the right stick and they are usually thrilled.

I try to fly in remote places, but almost every time people see the Quad, they come over and want to know more about it and are very interested in it.
I usually get a lot of questions, and have had a few people take pictures of it, and ask me where I bought it. I have the feeling I may have inadvertently helped sell a few.
I think eventually people will understand and appreciate this new technology.
I know it has added a whole new "perspective" to my photography hobby.
Q~

1st_time_flyer said:
I'm beginning to feel a census from the last couple of posts that the majority of "responsible" flyers steer clear far away from people and buildings etc....is it frowned upon by the majority to not fly in neighborhoods or where there are landmarks around? i'm new to the hobby so I am just trying to get some insight if at all possible.

I fly to film. Mostly in major cities. Practice, planning and precautions. I get a handful of curious people almost every time I fly. 99 times out of 100, it's positive curiosity.

I have a t-shirt I wear when flying. I got from Etsy a few months ago. I don't see it for sale on there anymore. On the front it has an artist's rendition of the P2V+.
On the back it says:
WARNING: Do Not Disturb!
1. It's a Quadcopter
2. Yes, it has a camera
3. Very Expensive
4. Very High
5. The Internet
6. No

I get very positive comments. Mostly the men comment they want one. And the women comment they need to get one for their man. Kids love it. I have even had some kids and dogs chase it around.

Had one older couple (the man) comment as they walked by, didn't stop "We don't mind you flying it as long as you don't fly in our back yard". I just looked at him and bit my tongue and said nothing. Noting in my head, "like I need your permission to fly you idiot" and "Don't flatter yourself, no one is interested in spying on you".

BlackTracer said:
I have a t-shirt I wear when flying. I got from Etsy a few months ago. I don't see it for sale on there anymore. On the front it has an artist's rendition of the P2V+.
On the back it says:
WARNING: Do Not Disturb!
1. It's a Quadcopter
2. Yes, it has a camera
3. Very Expensive
4. Very High
5. The Internet
6. No

I get very positive comments. Mostly the men comment they want one. And the women comment they need to get one for their man. Kids love it. I have even had some kids and dogs chase it around.

Had one older couple (the man) comment as they walked by, didn't stop "We don't mind you flying it as long as you don't fly in our back yard". I just looked at him and bit my tongue and said nothing. Noting in my head, "like I need your permission to fly you idiot" and "Don't flatter yourself, no one is interested in spying on you".

love the shirt lol!

I have an Orange Hi Vis jacket, on the back I have:-

PILOT
Please do not speak to the pilot whilst the aircraft is flying.

I do not mind though and love to let the children see the FPV screen and usually turn the quad so that they can see themselves.

I think I may have sold three - dam I need the commission - DJI are you reading this?

BlackTracer said:
I have a t-shirt I wear when flying.
HEY! Did you rip off my shirt?! :lol:

I go to the same large park most times and I would say I probably chat to some random almost every time. Always positive comments and questions.
I did however have one old guy walk across the length of 2 football fields to tell me not to fly it over his house and spy on him.... I generally just do laps around the park and occasionally go over the park boundary to the houses that live next door. I never hover or anything and its always at like 150-200+ feet. So I some how spy on him going at 30mph... or something :/
Told him he was most welcome to call the cops as he said he would... Other people around who also lived near by thought he was an idiot, to.

Dogs seem to enjoy them to, it gives them a good workout chasing it around for 20 mins.

I'm constantly out doing Christmas Decorations. I get alot of attention. I ask alot of people if they would like to fly mine. Most say they are afraid they will break it others say sure. So I'll take it up to 100+ feet and hand them the controller. They just follow my instructions, I get a ton of positive feedback. Little children love to fly it ( of course they think they are flying it) :)

I was asked not to fly during sunset one of my nights in Myanmar. I was at an ancient temple where everybody climbs up on the top to watch the sunset/sunrise.

I flew twice, getting great footage and was preparing to launch again when some Scottish backpacker girl asked, "do you HAVE to fly the drone? It kind of ruins the atmosphere."

I was really annoyed, though I could see her point.

I just received my first non-positive reaction from flying all year.
I was called by the police following up on an anonymous tip to their Crimestoppers phone service.
The caller gave my details including the vehicle number and location - which happens to be my favourite spot for aerial photography.
He was concerned that I was spying on backyards, invading privacy and disturbing wildlife.
If he had approached me, I'd have happily answered any questions, let him see what I was doing and given him a card with my photo website details.
After seeing the photos on my website the investigating officer was satisfied and complimented me on the pictures.

I don't think I've received a negative comment. One concerned comment about privacy, but quite innocuous. Usually inquisitive and I try to show them the monitor to help with their curiosity. All ages from youth to very mature.

If they have them, they pull out their phone/camera and take photos/videos and I try to come down and hover for them. Nothing I do is so critical I can't stop and be an ambassador for the hobby.

For some techies that walk up, the discussions often include some time talking about the GoPro, what model it is, how I have it set, etc, etc. For those hobbyists flying other RC craft, they often discuss FAA concerns. I fly around small construction sites and the workers view youtubes and express an appreciation for a different perspective on their work.

2nd flight of my new Vision+ was over a beach in Sydney. The manager of the local surf club came and asked me not to fly because there had been complaints that I was photographing children.

I was flying around 100ft so I showed him the monitor feed and how small the people were on the beach.

Now I'm a bit afraid to fly anywhere near people.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie