How do manage your iPad/GS/flight radio?

Reaction score
I'm concerned about how I'm going to deal with the GS hardware and iPad out in the field. I use my Phantom to photograph nature reserves and often have to carry everything a fair distance, usually strapped to my back (in a plastic tub). Once I get to a location, I spread things out on a small tarp and if the ground is soggy or uneven, use the lid of the plastic tote as a launch pad.

Even with the GS I'll want to continue flying fpv via the GoPro, in order to adjust the camera angle. So, I'll have the monitor on my Futaba radio, goggles on my head (for the rx antenna) and... where will I have the iPad? This is beginning to look like quite a lot of gear!

GearLoose said:
I'm concerned about how I'm going to deal with the GS hardware and iPad out in the field. I use my Phantom to photograph nature reserves and often have to carry everything a fair distance, usually strapped to my back (in a plastic tub). Once I get to a location, I spread things out on a small tarp and if the ground is soggy or uneven, use the lid of the plastic tote as a launch pad.

Even with the GS I'll want to continue flying fpv via the GoPro, in order to adjust the camera angle. So, I'll have the monitor on my Futaba radio, goggles on my head (for the rx antenna) and... where will I have the iPad? This is beginning to look like quite a lot of gear!
Put the Ipad back in your pocket or backpack once you've uploaded the route. It doesn't need to continuously communicate with the device to fly to the waypoints you've programmed into it.
It's the same with the PC-once you've uploaded the route, you can disconnect the ground station if you want-once you pushed the "start" button for the route to be flown.
I've heard the GS range is less than the FPV or R/C range, in general anyways-and when it loses signal with the GS, it continues flying the route.
Just make sure you double check that you don't have the route set to "loop", which is the default. Or, your aircraft will make 1 circuit of your route, and when you think it's coming back to land-it will turn and go back out and fly the route again, unless you toggle the remote to Atti, then back to GPS to take control and cancel the flight.

Thank you, that is very helpful and very good news.

havasuphoto said:
GearLoose said:

Put the Ipad back in your pocket or backpack once you've uploaded the route. It doesn't need to continuously communicate with the device to fly to the waypoints you've programmed into it.
It's the same with the PC-once you've uploaded the route, you can disconnect the ground station if you want-once you pushed the "start" button for the route to be flown.
I've heard the GS range is less than the FPV or R/C range, in general anyways-and when it loses signal with the GS, it continues flying the route.
Just make sure you double check that you don't have the route set to "loop", which is the default. Or, your aircraft will make 1 circuit of your route, and when you think it's coming back to land-it will turn and go back out and fly the route again, unless you toggle the remote to Atti, then back to GPS to take control and cancel the flight.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31