How do I know my Phantom 2 is ready to fly in GPS mode?

Reaction score
Hi... new to this (obviously) and paranoid! I've gone through the whole start up procedure. waited for green lights, then calibrated the compass. after the last calibration part the lights turn to slow flashing yellow. From what I understand, the lights should go back to solid green to indicate ready to fly with GPS. I def. don't want to do my first flight without this! Help! :)

Chances are your right hand switch is set to ATTI rather than GPS.

You MUST read the manual again and again- that is sincere advice!

The most important lights you missed. Home Lock Recorded

When you power up the Phantom, you see the lights on the back arms alternate between green and red. The more red flashes between the green flashes, the FEWER satellites you have locked in. Before the home position is locked, you will see only one red flash between green flashes, and then finally you will see the green lights flicker rapidly. You're now locked.

discv said:

Thank you!! I just checked and the swtich is on GPS :( I have read the manual over and over and have watched several tutorials. Am I correct that the front lights must be solid green before flying? It DID take several minutes to acquire GPS lock when first turning it on. I wonder if I'm just in a bad area? I'm in the middle of Florence, Italy so that shouldn't be the case! Going to re-read manual again.. esp. about home lock.

scalvidgal said:
discv said:

Thank you!! I just checked and the swtich is on GPS :( I have read the manual over and over and have watched several tutorials. Am I correct that the front lights must be solid green before flying? It DID take several minutes to acquire GPS lock when first turning it on. I wonder if I'm just in a bad area? I'm in the middle of Florence, Italy so that shouldn't be the case! Going to re-read manual again.. esp. about home lock.
I would also re do the compass calibration, doesn't sound like it worked properly the first time.

Am I correct that the front lights must be solid green before flying?

No.

The back arms contain the 'flight indicators' and can alternate red , green, and yellow depending on settings, errors, status,etc.

There is no solid green indication available.
They will have a slow blink green when Ready-to-fly w/GPS. (These should be closest to you on take off and landing until develop more flying skills.)

The front arms turn solid red upon motor start ONLY.

try these.
recalibrate in assistant software. check for any updates . ect...
watch for two sets of rapid flashing green lights. they flash quickly about 10 times.
wait for both of these green light sequences. then do a compass calibration...
stat CMC after no red flashing lights in your light sequence. :shock:

BobUnplugged said:
When you power up the Phantom, you see the lights on the back arms alternate between green and red. The more red flashes between the green flashes, the FEWER satellites you have locked in. Before the home position is locked, you will see only one red flash between green flashes, and then finally you will see the green lights flicker rapidly. You're now locked.

If it is really sunny out and I can't see the status LEDs, can I just watch the FPV app on my phone and wait until there are about 10-12 satellites before I take off?

Would that be enough to ensure that a home point has been recorded?

I just went over the Wiki again - http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phanto ... _App_Usage

(I have read the manual several times. I don't recall seeing anything about the app confirming that a home point has been recorded.)

try using a mirror under your phantom. i recently started to use a small 10x10" mirror under my phantom as a launch pad
you can point your camera down all the way and monitor your lights refelection in the mirror from your FPV monitor.

Kelso Kubat said:
try using a mirror under your phantom. i recently started to use a small 10x10" mirror under my phantom as a launch pad
you can point your camera down all the way and monitor your lights refelection in the mirror from your FPV monitor.

That's a really good idea. Thanks! :)

I've got a fog free shower shaving mirror that I don't use for anything. It would be perfect.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.