How do I format Mini SD for long Gopro time lapse?

Reaction score
Hello,

I've searched online already, so thought I'd ask here, but does anyone have experience doing looong video time lapses with SD cards?

I want to do a Gopro time lapse video (I have power figured out) and max out the storage space of a 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Mini SD. If I format to FAT32 then I assume the Gopro just records until it hits 4 Gigs and then immediately starts creating a new file without any loss of frames, correct?

Is it better to do exFAT? I just read that's best for bigger size cards.
Does exFAT work with a Gopro 4 Silver?
Would the Gopro then record a full 32 Gigs before it stops?

Last edited:
Hello,

I've searched online already, so thought I'd ask here, but does anyone have experience doing looong time lapses with SD cards?

I want to do a Gopro time lapse (I have power figured out) and max out the storage space of a 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Mini SD. If I format to FAT32 then I assume the Gopro just records until it hits 4 Gigs and then immediately starts creating a new file without any loss of frames, correct?

Is it better to do exFAT? I just read that's best for bigger size cards.
Does exFAT work with a Gopro 4 Silver?
Would the Gopro then record a full 32 Gigs before it stops?
I'm not familiar w/ GoPros, but in general time lapses are just a series of pictures. I would think the camera would just continue capturing images until you tell it to stop or you run out of space on your card, regardless of how you format it. The 4Gb limit is imposed on continuous files, like video.

I'm not familiar w/ GoPros, but in general time lapses are just a series of pictures.

Haha, thanks for the reply but I knew I forgot something. I've edited my post, but I want to do a Gopro time lapse VIDEO which is a feature on the GP 4 Silver/Black.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic